This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Right in the middle of cuffing season comes Valentine’s Day. Flowers, chocolates and feelings, oh my! While it’s generally a day associated with romantic love, I refuse to accept that it’s a day only about romantic love. I might be in denial, I’m well aware. Throughout high school, my friends and I would get dressed up on Valentine’s Day and go out to dinner, just us, and celebrate our friend love in a restaurant full of couples. While a romantic Valentine’s Day is great, so is Galentine’s Day. PLEASE (pretty please) don’t be one of the people who tries to ruin February 14th by ranting about “Anti-Valentine’s Day” or “Singles Awareness Day”. There’s no reason you can’t enjoy a day that brings an excess of chocolate. There are many ways to celebrate Galentine’s Day. You can be as simple or as extra as you want. As long as you’re celebrating your girls, you really can’t go wrong. 

NOTE: You don’t have to be single to celebrate Galentine’s Day. Some of my best friends are in relationships and that doesn’t mean that they love me any less and vice versa. Just because someone has a Valentine doesn’t mean that they can’t partake in a little Galentine’s Day fun. The more, the merrier.

NOTE: Galentine’s Day doesn’t have to be over the top. It totally can be. If you guys want to get all dressed up, with the red lips and heels, more power to you. If you want to make a dinner reservation at the boujee-est place in town, awesome. But Galentine’s Day can also be writing little love letters or grabbing coffee. Just spend time with your loved ones.

• Some Galentine’s Day ideas:

• Movie Night: Grab a bottle of rosé (only if you’re 21 and up, of course!!), some heart-themed snacks (optional, but recommended), and a cheesy rom-com. On Netflix, I recommend A Cinderella Story, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, 13 Going on 30, or Magic Mike. In a ~super scientific~ poll of my friends, 50 Shades of Grey and Safe Haven also received rave reviews. Anything vaguely Hallmark Channel or Nicholas Sparks should do the trick.

• GNI (Girl’s Night In): Again, grab a bottle of rosé (*insert reminder that the US legal drinking age is 21*) and on-theme snacks. Then add your favorite childhood sleepover essentials. Hilary Duff and Hannah Montana mixtape? Check. Paper and pens to play MASH and make cootie catchers? Check. Blue, purple, and other ~super tasteful~ nail polish colors? Check. Throw on some face masks for good measure. Operation Galentine is a go.

• GNO (Girls Night Out): It’s the opposite of a Girl’s Night Out in almost every way, except the wine. This could involve red lips and nails and probably involves heels and dancing. It’s not for everyone, but as long as you’re not crying in the club, Camila Cabello and I support you. Live your best life. If you’re willing to wait until February 15th to celebrate, Michiana’s Hottest Nightclub has Broken Hearts Night. Bring a picture of your ex (if you don’t have one, borrow one) and stumble in with no cover charge. In the name of love, of course.

• Bowling: I don’t know why, but every list of date ideas ever includes bowling, so why not add it to this list? Add a bottle of wine (it’s a wine holiday, ok?) and you’re all set.

All jokes aside, February 14th doesn’t have to be a day of mourning. Single, or not, just love the people in your life and you’re doing it right.

Happy Galentine’s!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

I'm a junior studying political science and Spanish at the University of Notre Dame. I'm from Grand Rapids, Michigan and enjoy hot yoga, coffee dates and Bath and Body Works candles.