Fun Fall Treats for Your Sweet Tooth!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

It’s finally October and fall is in full swing! You know what that means! Pumpkin flavored everything! I don’t know about you guys but it seems like my sweet tooth always kicks into high gear this time of year. Maybe because Halloween is looming around the corner with the promise of candy? Or the fact that everywhere you look in a store, the shelves are covered with sweet treats for trick-or-treaters? Well you’ve come to the right place if you want to make your sweet tooth happy. I’m sure your friends will thank you too!

1. Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies

I stumbled upon this recipe over the summer and they are to die for! They’re super easy to make too. Just imagine a cold, fall day and snacking on a warm oatmeal cookie that is fresh out of the oven. I love the texture of oatmeal cookies, but I’m not a huge fan of raisins so this is the perfect substitute. Plus, it’s a nice change from traditional chocolate chips. The small hint of cinnamon is the perfect fall addition. Here is a recipe for plain oatmeal cookies and then add as many butterscotch chips as your heart desires.

2. Classic Caramel Apples

I feel like caramel apples have fallen into the shadows of pumpkin spice, which is truly a tragedy. Caramel apples are a fall staple. The more experienced chefs can make their own caramel, while the less experienced (i.e. me), can buy premade caramels to melt. Since I feel like I’m taking the easy route with the premade caramel, I’m willing to up my caramel apple masterpiece in another way. I’m talking about some crazy delicious toppings – a caramel apple is a blank canvas, and it’s just waiting for your creativity to spruce it up.

3. Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

This snack has less sugar and is on the savory side. I loved collecting pumpkin seeds as a kid and watching them roast in the oven. It helped me get past the slimy feeling of cleaning out my pumpkin. If you’re planning on carving pumpkins for the 31st then you should keep this one in mind. I love salty snacks, so I think I’ll try the garlic parmesan cheese recipe. However, if salty isn’t your go to flavor, this blog has many other varieties including a flaming hot, classic, and pumpkin spice. 

4. Fall Popcorn

This recipe looks so easy. I’m definitely going to try it soon. All you need is popcorn, orange candy melts, candy corn, pumpkin spice, M&Ms, and some sprinkles! I mean this recipe is so simple that it can be made in the microwave. It’s perfect for collegiettes. It’s a festive way to spruce up a traditional snack.

I love that fall is in the air and that Halloween is right around the corner. In my opinion, the best part of fall is the sweet treats that accompany the dropping temperatures and changing leaves. Enjoy these scrumptious goodies and hopefully they will make midterms a little better before we leave for the much anticipated fall break. 

Follow the HCND Pinterest account, pin with us, and remember to keep posted with HCND on TwitterInstagram, and Facebook!

Images: cover (author’s image), 234

Hey everyone! I love to write and cry over episodes of One Tree Hill (don't judge). My favorite things to write about are fashion and music. I am definitely an animal and plant lover. I'm a South Bend native so in a way, Notre Dame has always been a part of my home.