This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Even though finals week is almost over and summer is upon us, I still find myself reaching for late night munchies as I’m packing everything up or cramming for my last final. During these times of high stress, it is so easy to grab anything sugary – I’m a huge sucker for chocolate. I also tend to make up excuses for why I deserve the sweets! Things like, “I’ve worked so hard all week” or “It’s the last time I’ll be able to get fro-yo this year” pop into my head when I get the urge to splurge. Whatever excuse I come up with, it ends with junk food. I think that instead of the freshmen fifteen, they should call it finals fifteen. Because of these bad tendencies, this week I have been determined to adjust my snacking habits.

One easy way to cut out sweets is to replace it with fruit. Fruit is usually sweet enough on its own and could be considered a dessert. The dining halls are full of apples, bananas, pears, and kiwis. The selection at breakfast is even more extravagant. Sometimes if my sweet tooth is really bugging me, I will treat myself to a tiny bit of peanut butter with a banana. It’s the perfect pick-me-up for a long afternoon of studying.

Sometimes I just need something to eat or drink while I’m studying because I’m bored. I’ve used this opportunity to try and increase my daily intake of water. I have never been a huge water drinker, but have definitely felt the effects this year. Hello, dry dorm rooms! Instead of reaching for a snack, I try to reach for a glass of water instead. The extra water in my system is perfect this time of year when I’m consuming more coffee than I can keep track of and constantly need to rehydrate.

Veggies, veggies, veggies. It is crucial to feed your body as though you’re fueling it for a marathon – a mental marathon. Veggies and hummus are the perfect go-to for all of your nutritional needs. I envy the people who enjoy plain, raw vegetables. I must still be a kid at heart since I am unable to eat them without dunking them in something. To avoid all of the fatty calories of ranch dressing, I opt for hummus instead. If you can do without the hummus, go for it! Eating vegetables is practically a zero net calorie game, as most of them only have about as many calories as it takes to consume them.

Another finals snack that is easy and delicious is granola or trail mix. I have some very crafty friends who make their own trail mix out of various dining hall ingredients and then save it for later. Any type of cereal mixed with dried fruit and a few chocolate chips is the perfect study snack. Nuts are also a great option, as they have tons of protein and the good fats that our brains need to function.

Remember that everything is good in moderation. Additionally, it IS okay to treat yourself once in awhile. Finals are very stressful for everyone and sometimes a little something sweet is just what you need to get yourself motivated to pull another all-nighter in Hes. Good luck with finals and remember to eat for fuel. If you fill yourself with nutritious goodies, your body will thank you by producing better testing results.

Follow HCND on Twitter and like us on Facebook

Images 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Hey everyone! I love to write and cry over episodes of One Tree Hill (don't judge). My favorite things to write about are fashion and music. I am definitely an animal and plant lover. I'm a South Bend native so in a way, Notre Dame has always been a part of my home.
Sara Spitt

Notre Dame

Meet HCND's current Campus Coordinator and Editor-in-Chief! Originally from outside of Chicago, Sara is a Senior Peace Studies, Theology, and Italian major at Notre Dame (yes, that is three majors; no, she doesn't have any free time). When she isn't painting her nails, Sara enjoys cooking vegetarian friendly dishes, taking pictures for The Dome yearbook, and reading for fun. Sara began writing for Her Campus Notre Dame in May of 2013 and quickly fell in love with the site and it's staff! After writing for the inagural editorial staff (shout-out to AnnaLee, Katie, and Lex!) for a semester, Sara decided to branch out and become an editor. She particularly enjoys doing interviews and sharing travel expereinces, as well as connecting with the HCND reader network through thought-provoking social commentaries. If you like what you read from her on a weekly basis, this self-proclaimed "Queen of Social Media" has several accounts for you to follow - twitter, instagram (@saraspit22), tumblr, and a blog!