Football Snapshot: ND vs. BC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Saturday, November 21st was the day of the much-anticipated Shamrock Series game, and it proved to be a nail biter of a performance. The contest was notable for two reasons: first, the Fighting Irish took this home game on the road to a famous stadium nationwide, and, secondly, the game featured new uniforms. This year, the Fighting Irish took on the Eagles of Boston College at Fenway Park in Boston, home of the Red Sox. While the game may have not have allowed for much confidence, Notre Dame did come away with a win. If you were unable to catch the game, check out some of the highlights below!

Pre-game Prediction: The #4 ranked Fighting Irish were predicted to win by two touchdowns (24-10).

1st Quarter:

Beginning: (ND: 0, BC: 0)

Early on, both Notre Dame and Boston College struggled to get on the board. With nine minutes having transpired, Irish kicker Justin Yoon made a 30 yard field goal to put the Irish ahead 3-0. With 6 seconds remaining on the clock, a 10 yard completed touchdown pass to Amir Carlisle from DeShone Kizer paired with a successful kick from Yoon resulted in Notre Dame entering the 2nd quarter with a 10 point lead.

2nd Quarter:

Beginning: (ND: 10, BC: 0)

Both teams failed to score in the second quarter, and the game began to prove to be more of a struggle than previously anticipated. The Fighting Irish entered halftime with a 10 point lead.

3rd Quarter:

Beginning: (ND: 10, BC: 0)

Two minutes into the second quarter, Eagle punter Colton Lichtenberg made a 43 yard field goal to put Boston College on the board with 3 points. With a minute and ten seconds remaining in the third quarter, DeShone Kizer completed a 12 yard touchdown pass to Chris Brown, only to be followed by a failed two-point conversion, resulting in Notre Dame entering the 4th  quarter with a 13 point lead.

4th Quarter:

Beginning: (ND: 16, BC: 3)

Five minutes into the quarter, Justin Yoon completed a 35 yard field goal attempt to advance the Notre Dame to 19 points on Boston College’s 3. No less than twenty seconds later, Boston College quarterback Jeff Smith completed an 80 yard touchdown run. After a failed two-point conversion, the Eagles had 9 points on the board.With a minute remaining in the game, Jeff Smith completed a 3 yard touchdown pass to Charlie Callinan followed by a successful field goal kick from Colton Lichternberg, and the Eagles finished with 16 points.

Final Score – (ND: 19 BC:16)

Following the Boston College game, the Fighting Irish have dropped in the playoff ranking from #4 to #6. This Saturday, Notre Dame will take on the Cardinals of Stanford University in a matchup that will prove vitally important to the team’s final standing. Take a break from your Thanksgiving festivities to support the Fighting Irish in their final game of the regular season! 

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Lydia Costello is a freshman at ND studying English and Film, Television, Theater with a concentration in film. She hails from the sprawling metropolis of Chesterton, Indiana (although she might tell you Chicago in an effort to sound more interesting), but is a proud Lyons lady while at home under the dome. When she's not blogging, writing for HCND, or being a pun master extraordinaire, Lydia can be found live tweeting awards shows and episodes of Downton Abbey over at @lydia_costelllo, taking Buzzfeed quizzes, asking to pet other people's dogs, and lying to herself about making Pinterest recipes. She's always up for a good cup of coffee and good conversation (if lost, please return to Starbucks). Keep calm and Go Irish!