This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook. These are just a few of the various social media platforms that play a prominent role in our social lives. From my experience, I think most people can admit that our social media accounts act as a highlight reel for our lives–in other words, it is easy to portray your life as fun and flawless behind a screen. On the flip side, most people can admit to having experienced FOMO–the fear of missing out. FOMO has become a prevalent issue in our digital age and can be quite consuming.

Social media has become increasingly popular over the past few years. Studies show that 51% of people are viewing their social media outlets more often than they were two years ago. Despite these increasing numbers, people may find themselves wanting to take a break from social media; however, studies show that of people who want to take a break from their social media accounts, less than half of them follow through with it–FOMO can overpower our lives and can compel us to need to be in the know at all moments.

In my opinion, picture-based social media platforms are the biggest triggers of FOMO. If you actually see someone having a good time as opposed to simply hearing about it after it occurred, the longing to be there seems to be stronger. People tend to compare their immediate circumstances to what others are doing. For example, you may be studying in the library when you see a picture of others having fun. The fact that they are enjoying themselves at that instant seems to make your present condition (stuck in the library with a heap of homework) even worse. Alternatively, if you happen to hear about others’ activities after you are finished studying, you may not care as much because you just had a productive night in the library. Hearing about it later helps you realize that you didn’t really miss out on anything because you used your time wisely and are much happier as a result.

People may wonder if there is really a solution for FOMO. Although it is easier said than done, focusing on your own life and trying to understand the reality of social media is the best way to overcome the feelings of missing out. Remember that you are in charge of your life. Although technology has proved useful in our lives, it is important to recognize the downsides of having access to so much information at the click of a button. So, put the phone down, live in the moment, and enjoy it. Do not let your mind wander to all of the possible things that others are doing; rather, immerse yourself in what you are actually doing.

Image: 1, 2, 3, 4

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Meg Pryor

Notre Dame '22

Meg is an editor for the Notre Dame chapter. Major: Psychology Minor: Journalism