jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Five Best Moments Of Parks and Recreation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

This past Tuesday, the final episode of Parks and Recreation aired. It was one of the most consistently funny and heartwarming shows on TV.

It’s always hard to say goodbye, but all good things must come to an end. Parks and Recreation went out on a high note with a strong last season and a poignant, sentimental finale showing where all the characters end up a few years down the line. While seeing everyone’s future was satisfying, I think the best way to send off this stellar show is by taking a look back at some of the highlights and remembering all the good times. So without further ado, here are, in my opinion, the top five best Parks and Recreation moments.

5. Andy Gives Everyone Code Names

Agent Burt Macklin, FBI, is Leslie’s campaign security officer, and the code names he gives his team are startlingly honest. Ben’s palpable relief at being Eagle Two makes the weirder names even funnier by contrast.

4. Ron Swanson’s Employee Barbecue

Ron throws the employee appreciation barbecue one year when Leslie can’t. Everyone expects songs about the funniest email chain of the year (Jerry forwarding his bank statement, anyone?) and instead, Ron cooks for hours, denies them corn on the cob, and tries to introduce them to their dinner. Unsurprisingly, none of this goes over well.

3. Treat Yo Self 2011

Tom and Donna drag a reluctant Ben to the spa and the mall for “the best day of the year,” and he hates every minute of it. Tom and Donna together are a fabulous train wreck of spending and it’s beautiful to watch.

2. Everybody’s Wasted

Tom Haverford tries to introduce Snake Juice at the Snakehole Lounge and everyone gets wasted. As Donna says, “it’s basically rat poison.” Every character embodies a different type of drunk, and Ron’s dance at the end is icing on the cake.

1. Ice Rink Campaign Event

This scene. Nothing will ever beat this scene. Leslie’s first campaign effort after hiring Ann as campaign manager goes completely awry in every way possible. The sight of the team slipping and sliding on the ice and the immense effort it takes to get Leslie on the podium is the best kind of physical comedy. You will never be able to listen to ‘Get On Your Feet’ again without thinking of this scene.

While the series has come to a close, the characters we grew to know and love will stay with us in our memories and our Netflix accounts. Thanks for all the laughs, Parks and Recreation. You’re 5,000 candles in the wind.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2

Emily Rodriguez is a sophomore English major and Business Economics minor at Notre Dame. She joined Her Campus during fall 2014 and loves to write about style, television, and movies. When not in class, she can be found singing with Halftime, contemplating going to the gym and ultimately not going, and thinking too much about Parks and Recreation.