Finding Your Home Under the Dome: Homesickness 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

As much as Notre Dame makes an effort to be our Dome away from Home, there’s no doubt that you will experience varying amounts of homesickness throughout the year. This doesn’t mean that you don’t love Notre Dame, but simply realizes the fact that there really is no place like home.

There are, however, many things you can do to alleviate this feeling  After moving from New Mexico to Indiana as a freshman, spending the semester in Ireland as a junior, and spending the past summer in Connecticut as a senior, I’ve had many opportunities to experience homesickness and perfect my remedies. These tried and true methods helped me throughout the years, and I hope they can help you too!

1. Stay Positive

The first thing to realize about homesickness is that it absolutely gets better. The first month of my freshman year was characterized by constant tears and calls to my mom, but I got past it and so will you. The key to overcoming homesickness is to stay positive and realize that these feelings will not last forever. Call your mom, talk to your friends from home, and remember the reasons why you chose Notre Dame. There is a community of wonderful people around you that are looking to include you in their group, invite you to their event, and welcome you into the Notre Dame family – all you have to do is open up. 

2. Find the Familiar

The comforts of home are really not that far away, as long as you know where to look. Watching a familiar show or eating a familiar food that you usually enjoy at home or with your family can be just the thing you need to get you through a tough day of homesickness. To this day, I watch an episode of Friends or the Office every night to remind me of the comforts of home and laughing with my family. These little comforts make a big difference in the long run for creating a new home in Notre Dame without feeling the loss of your previous one.

3. Keep Busy

If you’re having trouble finding the familiar or accessing your positivity, keeping busy is a helpful move. Fill your free time with fun activities, studying, or working out. Remember that you’re not alone in your feelings and someone is just waiting for your to reach out and invite them into your life. If you’re not feeling that social, fill your solo time by bettering yourself. No one ever regretted that extra hour of studying or that Rolf’s workout class.

Homesickness is just one step to finding your home under the dome, and the Notre Dame community is here to help you through the hard times. It seems simple, but staying positive is sometimes much easier said than done. Remember that you are not alone and are at the start of an amazing and life-changing journey. So, stay positive, find the familiar, and don’t be afraid to reach out!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images 1, 2 (provided by author), 3

Erin Rose Howard is a sophomore Business and English major at the University of Notre Dame. Hailing from the beautiful state of New Mexico, you can find her around campus attempting to bring some of her NM sunshine to ND. She is a strong promoter of the four main food groups: coffee, Diet Coke, chocolate, and pizza. Erin Rose's interests include: food, fashion, family, and friends. You can find the rarely updated story of her life on Instagram @erin_rose_howard or on Twitter @erhoward96.