Festival Fever: Alternatives For Less $$$

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

We all dream of going to Coachella to see our favorite bands perform at one time. I mean, who wouldn’t want to?! But let’s be honest: those tickets are pricey and then there’s food, clothing, travel, etc. It can be a pretty big expense. Thinking of going but wanting to save some major money? Here’s my advice on how to make the most of your festival experience without breaking the bank.

1. Carpool with friends

I love a good road trip. If you don’t mind squeezing into a tight car with your buddies, split the cost of gas and carpool to the festival. You’ll save some money you would have spent on a flight and bond with your friends.

2. Spend the night

Camping out at a music festival could be one of the best things about the experience! You won’t have to spend a ton on a hotel. Pack some clothes you don’t mind getting a little messy, plenty of blankets, bug spray, and sunscreen. Try thrifting for some groovy, old clothes to spend the night in that you don’t mind throwing away after the festival. You’ll even save on outfit money this way while still looking like a summer goddess!

3. Buy a single-day pass

Festivals are EXPENSIVE, especially when you buy a full pass. Try buying for the day when your favorite artists are playing. Some festivals even sell tickets for individual bands, which can be great for someone who wants the festival experience but isn’t willing to stomach all of the cash.

4. Pack your own food

Don’t spend extra money buying food from the festival. More than likely the prices for drinks and snacks will be marked up. If your festival doesn’t let you bring your own supplies closer to the event, opt to camp out far enough away where you can store your own supplies and make a few trips while you’re there. The trek to your campsite will be so worth the money you’ll save!

5. Thrift your outfit

You don’t have to spend all of your money to look good during festival season, especially when the temperatures are hot and you’re likely to be a sweaty, dancing mess! Festival style is all about looking retro, so there are sure to be some great pieces at your local Goodwill or Salvation Army. If something looks bland, spice it up by slashing the denim or adding patches/studs.

Whether you’re a festival guru or it’s your first time, I hope these tips help you navigate your musical wonderland in the cheapest way possible! XOXO

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Well hi there! My name is Madelyn, and I'm a freshman at the University of Notre Dame majoring in Pre-Medicine and Romance Languages. I'm a lover of all things fashion and beauty, and it's my dream to intern with a magazine one day. You can catch me perusing Vogue, singing in the Opera, dancing with Troop ND, boxing for exercise, and obsessing over anything pink. I hope you can find something lovely in my articles that sticks with you! Cheers!! XO