This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Dear Summer,

Now that I’m back where the Dome shines I suppose it’s time to say our good-byes… at least until next year. I also want to write you this letter to thank you. As one of my most dependable friends you’ve been here every year since I can remember. Although we’ve had our ups and downs, this past summer was particularly spectacular.

First of all, I would like to thank you for the well-needed break from school. College is hard. Like really hard. The reading, writing and tests are just so overwhelming at times and it’s nice to have, well, nothing. The fact that I could read the magazines that have been piling up month after month rather than a scholarly essay was a refreshing change of pace.

Thanks for the fun times too. The long days on the lake that turn into long nights with friends are some of the best days of the year for me. The vacation at the beach was also a nice touch. Although these might not be the most productive days I’ve ever had, the future can wait for a few months.

Also, thank you so so so so much for bringing me home to the land of air conditioning. It was definitely getting a little toasty those last couple weeks of school and now that I am back I have been reminded of how life without air conditioning really sucks when it’s 80+ degrees outside. Lyons is great, but I love not sweating while I sleep. A/C, you the real MVP.

Thanks for the cash too. I finally had some time to actually work enough hours to contribute a worthwhile amount of money to my savings account each month. Even though it was at Target, I appreciate the financial help. Now it’s back to ten hour weeks that barely allows me buy one piece of clothing each month. *Sigh* I guess the new Kate Spade fall collection is but a dream.

Probably the best thing you did for me was bring me home. You brought me home to old friends and family and my fat, fat cat (I’m not a crazy cat lady but I love that thing so freaking much). It was so nice to feel like I could be myself without the fear of losing potential new friends or embarrassing myself. Transitioning somewhere where you don’t know anyone is rough, and even though Notre Dame provided me with some new connections, it’s not quite the same as the people I’ve known and loved for years. So truly, thank you. If I hadn’t had you I don’t know what I would do.

I especially wanted to take this time to write you because I don’t know if I’ll ever get to have a summer like this again. I’m hoping for an internship this coming summer and then in a couple years I’ll be moving on to the real adult world, where you don’t get summers off. Although this is a sad thought, I hope that we can still remain friends even if I’m busier. In fact I know that I will always make time for you.

See you in nine months pal.

XOXO,

Abby 

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1 provided by author, 2, 3, 45, 6

Abby Piper

Notre Dame

Abby is a senior studying English, French and Journalism at the University of Notre Dame but remains obsessed with her hometown St. Louis. She loves running, water skiing, writing, watching Christmas movies all year long and The O.C.'s Seth Cohen.