jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fall-Themed Films to Binge Over Fall Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Looking for easily accessible films to enjoy for the best season of the year? From spooks to fall fun, this list is the perfect place to start!

The Sixth Sense – Netflix

This first film is perfect for horror and action lovers alike. M Night Schmaylan’s feature film The Sixth Sense follows a psychologist’s attempt to help a boy who “see[s] dead people.” It’s filled with well-choreographed scenes of tension (including one jump scare of a little girl, that to this day, unnerves me).

Dead Poet’s Society

If your emotion of choice this fall isn’t fear but is instead carpe diem, this film, Dead Poets Society, is a perfect choice. Set at a 1950s boys’ boarding school in Vermont, this film stars the late artist Robin Williams as the world’s best english teacher. The film layers fiery, powerful dialogue with crisp autumn shots. Be prepared though–this film’s positive message is only truly realized after a dark climax.

Fantastic Mr. Fox – Amazon Prime

A more lighthearted autumn film is Fantastic Mr. Fox. Wes Anderson’s film centers around an anthropomorphic fox who is having a mid-foxlife-crisis and decides to return to his heyday profession–stealing food from neighborhood terrors Boggis, Bunce, and Bean.

This film is an absolute masterpiece, filled with Anderson’s hallmark obsession with details. The movie is also saturated with oranges, reds and yellows–perfect for an autumnal watch. A strong feature (and an essential plot device of the film) is the Fox family’s home: a beautiful tree stretching high above the plain, decorated with a wide array of autumn leaves. Because I treasured the book Fantastic Mr. Fox as a child, I was excited to see the movie when it first came out, and I continue to enjoy every bit of it.

All in all, these three movies are tinged with fall colors and themes perfect for an autumnal watch! 

Delaney Roberts

Notre Dame '20

Delaney is a senior at Notre Dame studying marketing. She's previously written for the Notre Dame Observer and has interned at The National Museum of American History. Outside of writing, she's got a zeal for swimming, pop music, PSLs, and memes.