yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Fall Into South Bend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

The greatest of all seasons is upon us—fall! It is time to break out your coziest sweater, sip on a pumpkin latte, and celebrate the season! The South Bend area has loads of fall activities, so we compiled the best of the best for you. Here are the top 10 things to do this fall in South Bend:

1. Zoo Brew (Potawatomi Zoo, 10/1)

Every year the Potawatomi Zoo invites local brewers and food vendors to the zoo for their big fundraiser, Zoo Brew. Guests can sip on some of the best craft beers in the area while checking out all of the zoo exhibits. This year the Zoo Brew will also have two bands playing throughout the night so you can sip and sing along!

2. South Bend Farmer’s Market (1105 Northside Boulevard, every Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday)

With 96 stalls and vendors from across the midwest, The South Bend Farmers Market is a fall staple. You can buy fresh fruits and veggies, beautifully arranged bouquets, and homemade pastries all in one day! “Incorporated in 1924, the South Bend Farmer’s Market has become one of the largest and most diverse indoor markets in the Midwest. Vendors and customers come from near and far to sell and purchase the quality goods found at the ninety-six stalls that are owned and operated by families, many of whom have sold at the market for generations.”

3. Thistleberry Farm (61391 Mayflower Rd, all season)

Spend a day at Thistleberry Farm to get your fall fix of pumpkins, hayrides, corn mazes, and so much more! After picking out a pumpkin to carve in your dorm, you can rent a campfire site and roast s’mores or stop by and feed the farm animals.

4. Red Table Plaza (Studebaker Plaza, Monday-Thursday) 

The Red Table Plaza Lunchtime Concert Series happens every Monday through Thursday during lunch between 11:45 and 1:15. Workers and students can sit down in Studebaker Plaza and listen to performances from loads of local and regional artists. Many of the restaurants in the area also offer lunchtime deals and “grab n’ go” options so you can eat while you enjoy the music!

5. Murder Mystery Dinners: Houdini’s Great Escape (Tippecanoe Place Restaurant, 9/30) 

“Bess Houdini invites you to attend a séance to contact her dear departed husband, Harry Houdini. Harry Houdini died under mysterious circumstances on October 31st, 1926. This will be the 9th anniversary of his death. Bess has vowed to keep her husband’s vigil and honor her contract with him to by attempting to contact him upon the anniversary of his death to prove that there is life after death. But, everything is not as it seems.”

6. First Fridays: Downtown Oktoberfest (Downtown South Bend, 10/07)

The first Friday of every month, tons of downtown South Bend businesses open their doors for guests to enjoy live music, demonstration yoga/art/cooking classes, wine tastings, sales, and much more!

7. Fall Harvest Fest (Beutter Park, 10/08)

Join the Mishawaka Parks and Rec team in celebrating the harvest festival with live music, a beverage garden, crafts, and wagon rides. You can also purchase art, crafts, and food from vendors throughout the park.

8. Mystery at the Mansion (The History Museum, 10/28)

“The Oliver family is setting sail for Europe to visit the Crawley family. This is a life-long dream of young Catherine Oliver, who has been pen pals with Sybil Crawley ever since they were young girls. To commemorate the visit, J.D. Oliver is bringing a handsome pocket watch to Lord Grantham. But wait! The watch has turned up missing just days before the ship is leaving. This mystery needs all your investigative skills to track down “whodunit.” Tickets are limited and reservations are strongly recommended. Admission to the exhibit Dressing Downton: Changing Fashion for Changing Times™, included with ticket.”

9. Michiana Escapes (620 W. Washington Street, all year)

The latest craze of escape rooms has made its way to South Bend! “Step back into 1933, when even the iconic George and Ada Studebaker are not immune from the effects of the Great Depression. It looks inevitable that they will be forced to surrender their beloved Tippecanoe Place mansion to foreclosure. In an attempt to recoup his fortune, George Studebaker has threatened to sell the blueprints of a new, economical automobile series to their leading competitor. Albert Erskine, president of the Studebaker Corporation, has hired your elite team of experienced criminals to retrieve the automobile blueprints, which he believes George has hidden in his estate. Those blueprints in the wrong hands could mean the end for the Studebaker Corporation. It’s up to you! Do you have what it takes to save the blueprints and the Studebaker Corporation before it’s too late?”

10. Beer Walk (Downtown South Bend, 10/12)

Start at one of the 15 restaurants on the walk and stroll through downtown South Bend. During each walk you receive three beer tastings as well as three food tastings at each participating restaurant!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Image: 1, 234, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

S. Riker

Notre Dame

.