This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Obviously, this school year did not end the way I had envisioned it. Not only did I miss out on the classes, the parties and the dining hall meals, but I missed out on the last hugs I wanted to give my friends before summer started. When I left for spring break, I did not know it would be the last time I would see the many people who made my freshman year great until the Fall. I feel kind of cheated honestly. I am a big lover of hugs and I did not even get to give away all of my proper goodbye ones. A busy midterm week prevented me from even saying goodbye to some of the people I love the most. At first, I dwelled on this sad fact. I lamented my lack of good-bye hugs. I try not to be a negative person, but it was hard not to be. I have now tried to turn to a more positive outlook, and I have realized that, while I would have loved my good-bye hugs, this was not fully a good-bye. Although I cannot physically be with my friends, I still feel so connected with them thanks to good old Facetime. 

Coronavirus
Unsplash

At first, I was a skeptic. I thought zoom and facetime calls with friends would not feel as good as when we are together. I thought I would feel less connected to them. I thought my friendships would fall apart completely (I really can be so dramatic). I have never been happier to be wrong. Facetime has given me the opportunity to connect with my friends in a new, different and meaningful way. Facetiming my friends has actually made me feel more confident in my friendships. When you take the time to facetime or call someone, it takes genuine effort. At school, it could be easy for a friendship to become convenience-based because you live in the same dorm: you talk so you are friends. Being away from my friends has shown me that they are my people because, even though we are miles apart (and maybe it would even be easier to stop talking to each other), we simply cannot stay away. 

We span three time zones, but we make it work. My friends and I continually call each other. You would think we have nothing to talk about since we are stuck at home, but this could not be farther from the truth. We stay up late in the night talking, laughing and making fun of each other like we are in the same room. This feeling of confidence in my friendships is so refreshing. I have to admit that, while the situation is less than ideal, this period of Facetiming has given me a clarity that I do not know if I would have found otherwise. I am more confident than ever in the friendships I have made during my first year of college, even if it was cut short. So thank you Facetime, you’re the best!

macbook pro and coffee mug on a table top
Photo by Andrew Neel from Unsplash

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Sara Kirsch

Notre Dame '23

Sara is majoring in Economics at Notre Dame, with a minor in Journalism, Ethics, and Democracy. She is from ST. Louis originally, but absolutely loves being on campus. In her free time, she loves to run and spend time with her friends, her three younger sisters, and her dog, Oreo.