An Expert Ranking of the Best Christmas Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

‘Tis the season for hot chocolate, stringing lights and CHRISTMAS MOVIES. I’m one of those completely rational lovers of the holiday season, or as some Scrooges like to say “crazy Christmas people,” so I consider myself an expert on Christmas movies. ABC Family’s 25 Days of Christmas is pretty much the only time I watch TV. And for your holiday-viewing pleasure I’ve compiled a list of the best Christmas movies. 

Honorable Mentions: National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, Mircale on 34th Street, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, Love Actually

10. Unaccompanied Minors

So underappreciated…and it’s possible you’ve never even heard of it. Trust me, it’s funny in that innocent way that is so childlike and Christmas-y. I have a weird love of airports, so maybe that’s why I find it to be such an appealing plot, but other than that I love the concept of different kinds of people coming together for the holidays.

“Well, I love Christmas and I’m Jewish.”

9. It’s A Wonderful Life

Even though this movie is pretty old, it’s such a classic. The whole premise of proving the worth of an individual is such an important message. Christmas is the perfect time to start appreciating the people who love us, including ourselves. A bit more depressing than average, but also charming and worth the watch.

“Everytime a bell rings an angel gets his wings.”

8. Elf

I know I am going to get crucified for putting this so low, but honestly, the movie is terribly overplayed. It’s really quotable for Christmas-lovers, such as myself, and I totally appreciate that, but I just think that there are so many other undervalued Christmas movies. I do however have a special place in my heart for Buddy the Elf and his love of Christmas.

“The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear.”

7. How the Grinch Stole Christmas

This is the classic tale of Christmas changing an a** into a great (or at least pretty okay) person… or whatever the Grinch is. A teeny-tiny Taylor Momsen as Cindy Lou also makes this movie super adorable. Pro-tip: A fun drinking game for watching the cartoon version is to take a shot everytime it says “who.” You’ll be lucky to make it past “the who-pudding and who-hash”.

“Don’t forget the Grinch. I know he’s mean and hairy and smelly. His hands might be cold and clammy, but I think he’s actually kinda… sweet.”

6. A Christmas Story

Another favorite (TBS runs it for 24 hours), that I love for a lot of reasons. The tongue on the flagpole scene and the little brother tipping over in his snow suit are by far my favorite scenes, but I think that the whole movie provides a hilariously realistic view of Christmas. Plus the narration is just on point.

“I TRIPLE-DOG dare ya!”

“Schwartz created a slight breach of etiquette by skipping the triple dare and going right for the throat!”

5. Scrooged

There are so many renditions of A Christmas Carol it’s hard to keep track, but Scrooged with Bill Murray is one of the funniest in my opinion. I love Dickens’ original novel, but this version combines my favorite book about my favorite holiday with my favorite type of comedy: cynical sarcasm.

“You won’t be one of these bastards who says ‘Christmas is once a year and it’s a fraud’, it’s NOT! It can happen every day, you’ve just got to want that feeling.”

4. The Santa Clause

I appreciate this depiction of Santa as an actual character. Most of the time he’s just the typical jolly fellow, but in this movie we get a witty adaptation of Santa and I absolutely love it. His son is too cute and reminds us of what it’s like to believe in Santa… which we should all do because he’s totes real… ;)

Sidenote: Bernard is thebomb.com. I would kill to be friends with a hilariously quick-witted elf.

“You see, children hold the spirit of Christmas within their hearts. You don’t wanna be responsible for killing the spirit of Christmas, now would you… Santa?”

3. A Charlie Brown Christmas

Charlie Brown can never win… except for Christmastime. Linus’ dissertation on the true meaning of Christmas is the epitome of real, freaking Christmas spirit. How his blanket makes that tree grow pine needles? I don’t really know. I’ll just credit it to a Christmas miracle I guess.

“I never thought it was such a bad little tree. It’s not bad at all, really. Maybe it just needs a little love.”

2. The Polar Express

Hot chocolate, Santa Claus, a magical train… what’s not to love? This movie brings back all those memories of childhood Christmases, when Santa was real, reindeer flew and trains took kids to the North Pole.

“Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can’t see.” 

1. Home Alone

I watch A LOT of Christmas movies, but this one is by far the funniest while still maintaining that “christmas spirit” charm. Macaulay Culkin is a true star in this movie, and not just because he make the most adorable quips and facial expression. The physical and verbal comedy is simply outstanding and the ending? Undeniably embodies Christmastime.

“This is extremely important. Will you please tell Santa that instead of presents this year, I just want my family back. No toys. Nothing but Peter, Kate, Buzz, Megan, Linnie, and Jeff. And my aunt and my cousins. And if he has time, my Uncle Frank. Okay?”

Are you excited yet? You should be. ABC Family’s 25 Days of Christmas is just around the corner, and I’m sure you can find some holiday classics on Netflix or in your DVD collection until then. 

Merry Christmas from HCND!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Abby Piper

Notre Dame

Abby is a senior studying English, French and Journalism at the University of Notre Dame but remains obsessed with her hometown St. Louis. She loves running, water skiing, writing, watching Christmas movies all year long and The O.C.'s Seth Cohen.