Easy Sweet Treats to Make in the Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

“Stressed spelled backwards is desserts. Coincidence? I think not!”

Some nights, after a long day of cramming for tests, mind-boggling in-class discussions, and rapid note taking, nothing sounds better than the taste of a warm homemade cookie or a chocolatey brownie. As much as ND students love the desserts provided in our dining halls, sometimes our own homemade treats taste better. Thankfully, our dorms have kitchens for those occasions when you need to make some pick-me-up treats to satisfy your sweet tooth.

However, instead of heading over to the Huddle and grabbing a package of pre-made cookie dough or a box of brownie mix, why not try and spice up your well-deserved treats? Pinterest is great for these times, but the recipes can get too complicated and intimidating.

Look no further—these recipes prove that tasty desserts don’t always have to be tricky to make!

“S*****y” Brownies

This recipe combines classic chocolate chip cookies, Oreos, and brownies to make one deliciously rich dessert that will change the way you look at your old favorites.

They’re called “s*****y” brownies because they’re so easy to make while being sinfully delicious. Get it? My friends and I made these brownies last weekend to share, and they were definitely a hit! We had to bake them for around 45 minutes instead of the recommended 30-33 minutes since ours were in a deeper pan, so be sure to check on them to make sure they’re cooked as much as you like (Ours turned out to be a little undercooked … as in, they were pretty much warm batter in the middle of the pan, but we thought they made them even better!).

To be even more creative, you could try using Nutter Butters or Girl Scout Cookies instead of Oreos. Check out the classic recipe here

Oreo Cookie Balls

If you’re a fan of “America’s favorite cookie,” then be sure to check out this recipe!

These no-bake cookie balls only require three ingredients and a stovetop, and an adventure to make. You can personalize them with fun sprinkles, crushed candy canes, or cookie crumbles, too. This dessert would be fun to make with friends, and you could have a competition for the most original creations. Find the recipe here.

Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies

Jazz up the classic chocolate chip cookie with a little Nutella—everyone’s guilty pleasure. These cookies will tempt fans of the wildly popular hazelnut spread.

This recipe gets extra points for simplicity—all you have to do is swing by the Huddle, pick up a package of cookie dough and a jar of Nutella, and you’re ready to go! Try them out here.

No-Bake Nutella Pie

Another treat to try for all those Nutella fans out there! This pie is a simple dessert to make as a no-bake option. Nutella seems to appear in more and more recipes these days, but this confection stands out with the addition of fluffy cream cheese and whipped cream and is sure to be the sweetest part of your day. Head over here to find the recipe.

Salted Pretzel Caramel Brownies

This recipe is another original way to shake up your classic Betty Crocker brownie mix.

Adding pretzels, caramel, and sea salt will make these brownies a savory-sweet treat that will definitely garner some compliments. They look like they took a lot of time to make, but no one needs to know that you cheated and used boxed mix! Want to try them? Find the recipe here.

Eggless Cookie Dough

This recipe is a total game changer for cookie dough lovers everywhere.

It’s perfect for movie nights with your girlfriends—or whenever you need to feel like a kid licking the spoon! The exclusion of the eggs makes this dough a lot safer for you as well (even though we’ve all ignored the warning labels on cookie dough at some point in our lives). Eating this dough will make up for those times. Find the recipe here.

Happy baking!

Follow the HCND Pinterest account, pin with us, and remember to keep posted with HCND on TwitterInstagram, and Facebook!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Hey, I'm Claire! I'm a sophomore at Notre Dame majoring in psychology with minors in journalism and business economics. I'm from Peoria, Illinois (no, it's actually not a suburb of Chicago!) and if you know where that is, we're probably going to become best friends. I'm a self-proclaimed Starbucks addict, social media connoisseur, and a proud advocate of the (not so) occasional Netflix binge. I'm a proud Breen-Phillips Babe and so #blessed to be a part of the Notre Dame community. Go Irish!