Duped: a not love story

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Duped: a not love story 

I’ve been duped ladies. Yup, by a man. You might be thinking sarcastically, “wow what a surprise” but please let me explain this one out. I’ve been single girl swag for a while now and even this one was a shock to my friends and I.

So back in September I was in the huddle during an early morning. It was empty except for this really handsome guy I’d never seen before. I started daydreaming about how he’d sweep me off my feet onto a unicorn and ride into the magical distance when all of a sudden he came up and introduced himself. We’ve essentially been talking ever since.  (the moral of that little tale is you can seriously meet anyone anywhere hence put a lil effort in the appearance).

I noticed he was so different from the guys in my past. He just seemed like a genuinely nice guy who really cared about being a good person. I don’t know one person that doesn’t think he is practically a saint. I attributed it to the fact that he’s a super religious Methodist who takes his values extremely seriously. Although we never dug deep about our separate religions, I really respected and appreciated him for his morals.

We texted every other day, started watching our favorite shows together, and just being all around domerish. The only thing that was really weird about him was that he only wanted to kiss, I mean ONLY. I point blanked asked him if he was a virgin (come on ONLY KISSING!?) and he said no. WTF, now I was really confused. I don’t know about you girls, but this situation was first for me as most college guys are horny as hell. I’m usually the one pumping the breaks and saying no so it was a really different experience for me that I wasn’t sure I liked all that much, even made me feel guilty. In the end I again just realized his morals were so important to him and my respected for him deepened.

Another thing that really bothered me about him though is after months of talking we never discussed about any type of commitment whatsoever. I didn’t mind at first as I enjoy doing my own thing but after we hung out over winter break I thought It was time to have some kind of a talk just so I knew were I stood with him. I really gave him the opportunity to clear the air and just be honest with me. I’m understanding of all kinds of situations because I’ve been through a bunch of different relationships and I know that everyone has their own quirks or things going on in their lives. He skirted the issue and he started backing off in general (not seeing him as much and not as much texting). I’m not a pushy person and if somebody doesn’t want to be with me there are hundreds of more guys at this University. I just conceded that it was a weird Methodist thing and I just put him on the backburner.

I was on Facebook this past week and he posted picture of him and this girl on Facebook from Valentines weekend. Turns out she’s his open(ish) relationship girlfriend from back home in Georgia and she came here to visit him for V-day. SURPRISE!

This whole time I thought he was just a good guy with great values, but turns out he just has a girlfriend. It’s all making sense now.

I feel dumb for all the times he made me feel like I wasn’t religious enough but at least I didn’t use God as an excuse to cover for the fact I was serious with someone else. Whatta jerk.