samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Dos and Don’ts of Group Study

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

As finals and deadlines quickly approach, it can be easy to be overwhelmed by the amount of work required to finish assignments on time and be fully prepared for exams. It might seem helpful to meet up with others in the same class for group study. Group study can be really useful, or it can be a complete waste of time; it all depends on how you go about it. Here are some tips for increasing group study productivity:

Do:

Agree on a day, time, and place.

This may seem like a no-brainer, but make sure everyone is in agreement on when and where to meet! Making a group text or group chat can be a great way to coordinate your group study sessions.

Study beforehand.

This is so important! Group study is meant as a discussion time to confirm what you already should know, not to learn material for the first time! Think of group study as a regular class; you should always do your reading beforehand so you can participate meaningfully, not play catch-up the whole time!

Make a plan of how to use your time.

Without a plan of what to study together, it can be hard to get the session going or make a good use of your time. Agree upon what needs to be covered during the study session so that you have an idea of what you’ll be doing during group study.

Bring anything you might need.

Just as you would before studying individually, make sure you have all study materials and any food/drink/caffeine with you before meeting up. You don’t want to be midway through the session before realizing you left behind something important!

Organize the next study session (if needed).

Since you’re all together in person, the end of the current group session is an ideal time to plan the next study session if you all feel it’s necessary. Once you all depart, planning the next session will only become more difficult.

Don’t:

Use group study as your only study time.

This is linked to studying beforehand; group study shouldn’t be the only time you study for an exam or work on a project! It is most fulfilling for you and your study partners if you study before (and after) the group session on your own!

Make the study group too big.

3-6 is a good amount of people for group study. If the group gets too big, it becomes extremely difficult for everyone to participate or be on the same page. It also make side conversations far more likely, as a large group is harder to manage and keep focused on studying.

Diverge too often from study topics.

It can become really easy to slip into conversation during a group study session, especially if you know your study partners very well. This can be a big pitfall for group study. It’s unrealistic to say you’ll never diverge from study topics, but try to limit it as much as possible by making a study plan for the session and keeping it on the shorter side.

Study for an extended period of time.

Everyone’s time is super valuable during finals weeks and reading days. Also, no one is able to be intensely focused on studying for extended periods of time anyways, especially as a group. A half-hour to an hour is probably an ideal time to meet as a group, but if you meet for longer, make sure you don’t spend all night in group study!

Do work that can be done individually.

For example, if you send most of the group study time writing an individual paper for a class, you’ll find yourself wondering why you all had to meet up as a group in the first place. Make sure the study time is used accomplishing things best done or only able to be done with others.

Best of luck with studying, this week and next! Go HCND readers, beat finals!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Katie Surine

Notre Dame

Katie is a senior (where did the time go???!!!) living in Lewis Hall. From Baltimore, MD, Katie is pursuing a double major in Vocal Music and Anthropology. Besides writing for HCND, she sings with Opera Notre Dame, choral groups, and she is a pianist for Lewis Hall weekly Mass and Lucenarium, or "Luce" for short. Other interests include baking, reading, traveling, composing, and all things Italian.