Wellness > Health

Does Listening to Music Improve Athletic Performance?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Last Saturday, I got to run in the Notre Dame Holy Half Marathon. It was an exciting event to cross off of my bucket-list and I enjoyed training for it. There are no major secrets to share about training for a race like this, but I think having a lively playlist played an integral role in making my training a positive experience. People may wonder if music enhances your performance; I am here to contend that it does help. 

Research says that one critical component of music’s influence on the body is dissociation, which is “diverting the mind from sensations of fatigue that creep up and in during performance.” Further, music can “reduce your rate of perceived effort by 12% and improve your endurance by 15%.” This explains why listening to some of your favorite jams while working out can make the time fly by. If you are struggling during a workout but one of your favorite songs comes on, it is likely that you will stop paying attention to the pain and persist through the tough parts of the workout. This is a great example of mind over matter.

Not only can music serve as a distraction, it can also help you enjoy your workout more. Research says that “Music can boost internal motivation by triggering good emotions, helping you to experience much greater pleasure from the activity. This is magnified when a piece of music reminds you of an aspect of your life that is emotionally significant.” I know that on days when it is hard to wake up in the morning to exercise, I put in my headphones and listen to whatever playlist I am in the mood to hear. In addition, if a certain song comes on, I am distracted by the joyful memory I have associated with the music and I instantly gain confidence that I can put my best foot forward in the workout. Why not treat yourself and make exercising more fun?

Next time you need an extra boost to start or finish a work out, consider creating a workout playlist and remember these benefits of listening to your favorite pump-up songs–it will help make any challenge seem achievable.

Images: 1 (by author,) 2, 3, 4

Meg Pryor

Notre Dame '22

Meg is an editor for the Notre Dame chapter. Major: Psychology Minor: Journalism