emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

DIY Gifts for Collegiettes On a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Let’s be real. College is all about being broke. The “poor college student” life is the reason you went to that two hour long meeting of a club you’re not even in. (Handbells? No thanks. Chipotle?! I’m open minded…) This makes the holidays particularly tricky. One can only give out keychains and t-shirts so many times per year. So here’s a list of cute DIY gifts that are also kind to your checking account. 

Custom Candle

Candles are pretty standard, but with the magic of Michael’s and a $5 investment, you can completely change the game. They’re also a chic, sophisticated decorating staple. Pick a stamp that applies to your giftee (words or symbols that have meaning) and it’ll feel like it’s worth 10x the cash. (Pro Tip: if you’re planning a gift exchange after Christmas, the holiday themed stamps will be on a deep discount after December 25th.)

One-Step Treats

If you DIY and didn’t use a Mason Jar, did you even DIY?  I’m particularly in to mason jar food kits. Seriously, you can make cookies, soup, bread, and so much more (like grill rub for dad (or mom #feminism)). You can find most of the ingredients in your kitchen or through some crafty foraging (dining hall, Starbucks, kind friends). Not to mention the portion size is limited to the jar so you don’t need a lot of anything. All you have to do is assemble the parts and give instructions. It’s all the best parts of making your giftee a meal without any of the work. Add some unique details like a decorated lid or a personalized label for an even more personal touch. 

DIY Spa Day

In the words of the great Donna Meagle: Treat Yo Self. Everyone loves pampering themselves from time to time, but many of us hate paying for it. But you’re in luck, because the world of DIY has figured out a bunch of homemade, economically sensible ways to give yourself and the one’s you love the spa treatment without spending spa money. You can make homemade bath salts (these are orange flavored!), shaving creambath bombs, soap, or body butter using items you (or your mom) keep in your cabinet. Whip out another mason jar and you’re set. (Author’s note: someone please make me coffee soap, seriously.)

Personalized Coasters

My parents taught me two things: 1. Always say please 2. Never leave your drinks on the wood. There’s a bunch of different ways to customize these undervalued parts of kitchen decor. They’re also great housewarming gifts for younger friends who probably didn’t consider just how annoying water rings are, even on a table from Ikea. Not to mention, tile is super cheap. 

Happy Holidays!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us, and show our Instagram some love!

Images 1, 2, 3, 4, cover

Victoria is a Junior Political Science major and Journalism minor hailing from Atlanta, Georgia. As you'd expect, she loves writing about politics in a tireless attempt to help people realize that politics matter. When she's not standing on her soapbox, she enjoys music, food, football, and reminding people to check their privilege. In the winter months, you can find her near the closest heater listening to country songs and counting the days until break.