A Definitive Ranking of Season 12’s Real Housewives of New York

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Firstly, I must admit that I may or may not be slightly obsessed with the Real Housewives of New York (RHONY). Thanks to my mom and quarantine, I have been locked in to this season. With the departures of Bethenny Frankel pre-filming and Tinsley Mortimer mid-season as well as the addition of new housewife Leah McSweeney, this season has proven its potential to provide the utmost entertainment. As a Bravo superfan and a recent RHONY addict, I thought it fitting to give my unsolicited rankings of Season 12’s Real Housewives of New York.

Leah McSweeney

The newest and youngest housewife this season exceeded all expectations for a new member on the show. The owner of women’s streetwear brand, Married to the Mob, began the season with guns blazing. She was not afraid to show off her tattoos (which the other housewives deemed taboo), call out the other housewives, or even strip naked at Ramona Singer’s house in the Hamptons and jump in the pool. Other than providing incredible entertainment value, not only during her drunk escapades but with her quick one-liners, McSweeney was willing to be vulnerable about her family life. She shared her strained relationship with her mother, because Leah started drinking again, as well as her co-parenting journey. McSweeney carried the show on her back this season and successfully reinvigorated the relationships on the show. (I also may have bought the same leopard jacket that she wore in the Hamptons episode because her style is impeccable!)

Sonja Morgan

Sonja Morgan is a long time RHONY cast member whose binge drinking seemed to be a focal point for this season’s comedic relief. Morgan admittedly got drunk like a sailor which resulted in some of the funniest, slurred moments from the cast member. Towards the end of the season she did realize that a water pill was the cause for her drunkenness and was able to control herself better when she drank. Morgan’s sincerity also shone through this season. The show gave viewers an insight into her fashion line and its growing retail success. All in all, Morgan was a solid housewife this season and provided the perfect blend of entertainment and vulnerability.

Dorinda Medley

Though it was announced that she will not be returning next season most likely due to a decision made by Bravo, Dorinda still was one of my favorites from the season. The episodes at her house in the Berkshires were some of my favorites. Medley’s confessionals always made me laugh and her impressions of the other cast members were spot on (especially of Luann singing happy birthday). Medley would have been at the top of my list if it weren’t for her anger issues this season. It was clear that Dorinda hadn’t properly mourned her late husband’s death as revealed by her anger after her break up with her long-time boyfriend. Unfortunately, her attempts to “make it nice” this season fell short. There is no doubt that Medley’s laugh-inducing confessionals will be dearly missed.

Luann de Lesseps

The Countess Luann’s season was focused more on the completion of her character arc. After finishing her parole for a drunken incident with a police officer, the Countess gave back to a charity to help people. Other than her heartwarming charity work during the season, the Countess really did not bring much to the show. Of course her attempts to sing are always entertaining, but the time dedicated to Luann’s cabaret show fell short for me. I have no issues with Luann, but she wasn’t my favorite this season.

Tinsley Mortimer

Ranking Tinsley this low was difficult for me. I love Tinsley and I am absolutely in love with her two dogs that she rescued from China (their names are Strawberry and Shortcake, I mean how cute is that). The low ranking is mainly because Tinsley left halfway through the season for her now fiancé in Chicago. Though I love Tinsley, her time on the season was really only focused on her ongoing feud with Dorinda. I must say that I am happy for Tinsley and feel like she will be really happy in this new chapter of her life with Scott.

Ramona Singer

For the housewife who has been on the show since the beginning, this season really highlighted how shallow Ramona really is. Ramona managed to argue with every housewife during the season. She unapologetically shared all of her opinions (even when they were intentionally rude). Her behavior towards the other housewives shows that Ramona really only cares about herself and uses her friends for her own gain. Requesting that 60 of her “closest friends” pay $100 each to buy her a Gucci bag for your birthday shows that Ramona only collects friends for materialist and social benefits. Singer’s true colors and extreme FOMO were put on full display. She gets mad when others have things that she wishes she had and rather than complimenting, Ramona criticizes. She is insincere even when she attempts to apologize to others. Though Ramona may believe that she has good intentions, in reality she is too obsessed with herself to be a good friend.

All in all, this season of RHONY sucked me into the series. I’m excited for the next season and can’t wait to rate some of the new housewives they add to the show.

Sarah Duarte

Notre Dame '22

Hey I’m Sarah Duarte! I am majoring in History with minors in Digital Marketing and Constitutional Studies at the University of Notre Dame. I’m also a Zumba instructor and am from Southern California.