A Day Working at New York Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

We’ve all wondered it: what would it be like to work at Fashion Week?

Between the parties, the celebrities, and the free designer clothes, it seems like the week is one massive party in the Big Apple. But we often idealize it and forget that it takes hard work to put on a show of this size.

Here’s one way to familiarize ourselves with the effort that this week really requires for those working in it. Is it really all that glamorous? Mostly, yes. But we should take a walk in the models’ 7-inch heels before we decide that it’s the dream job.

7:00 AM

Rise and shine! Your phone lights up with emails from your agency. Remember that casting you were supposed to go to at 10:00? Well now it’s at 8:00 and the car’s coming soon so you’ve got to motor out. You throw on leggings and a tank top with the sleek leather jacket that you picked up from a show last year (#allblackeverything) then pack your bag and grab your shades because it’s going to be a long day. 

7:45 AM

Green juice and oatmeal in hand, you arrive at the casting location and know you’re in the right place based on all the other women dressed like you waiting in the hallway. Some are updating their Instagram, others are sleeping on the couches. You find an open spot, settle down, and check for any more emails from your agency. After all, you know you’re going to be here for a while.

9:00 AM

Thank God for Uber. You arrive backstage at the first show of the day and the place is bustling with energy. You check the line-up board to see if you recognize anyone before heading to the hair and makeup area. You sit down in the chair as a flock of hair stylists descend on you and you pray that they don’t bleach your eyebrows again. Thankfully, you’re getting a sleek updo and an assistant brings you coffee. This is one of the least hectic parts of your day; all you need to do is let your nails dry and check your Instagram, all while maintaining a calm and disinterested look on your face.

12:00 PM

You’re dressed, everyone’s lined up, and you take a deep breath even though you’ve done this a million times before. You try to make small talk with the girl in front of you but she responds in Russian, so you awkwardly turn back around and wait for the assistants to come reapply your lipgloss.

1:00 PM

The agency car comes to pick you up from the show and take you to yet another casting. This one’s in Brooklyn, so you have time to eat that salad you grabbed from backstage on your way out. You check your Instagram and realize that the one girl you don’t like in your agency booked the show you totally thought you had in the bag. Whatever.

3:00 PM

It’s time for the next show and you’re sitting in hair and makeup again. Your agent calls to let you know that you booked two shows for Friday and that you need to make an appearance at one of the after-parties. While any other week that would be fun, you’re only really going because a) you have to, and b) there will be free food that you will definitely stuff in your purse while no one’s looking. 

1:00 AM

After multiple castings and three shows, you’re finally back at your apartment. You scrub the makeup off your face and attempt to brush the hairspray out of your hair then get some Band-Aids for the blisters on your heels. Your muscles ache even though it’s only the second day, but you remember that one time a designer stuffed your feet into size 7 shoes and you figure things could be worse.

After going through the photos from the day, you choose the perfect one, post it on instagram, and tag your agency. You may have looked great, but you certainly don’t feel that way. But you know that once the week is over and the chaos has died down, you’ll remember how you had always dreamed about being on those runways. You quickly fall asleep – after all, you have another long day ahead of you. 

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 123456