Confessions of a Hufflepuff: The Forgotten House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

It took me a while to reconcile with the fact that I am, indeed, a Hufflepuff. But I am – and I have realized it’s the best thing ever. After I took the Pottermore quiz and was sorted into the golden house, I was confused. A bit distraught, since I am quite dramatic. But after realizing how amazing it is, I’m not any of those things anymore – I am proud.

Now, if you are not a Hufflepuff and reading this, you should find a Hufflepuff and be their best friend, because we’re awesome. And here’s why. 

Onward, my wizarding friends.

1. Our colors are black and yellow

Fun fact: the song Black and Yellow was written about Hufflepuffs…..okay, it may not be true but we can pretend, alright?

2. Our Common Room is the coziest thing ever

The description on the Pottermore website is: “A sloping, earthy passage inside the barrel travels upwards a little way until a cosy, round, low-ceilinged room is revealed, reminiscent of a badger’s set. The room is decorated in the cheerful, bee-like colours of yellow and black, emphasised by the use of highly polished, honey-coloured wood for the tables and the round doors which lead to the boys’ and girls’ dormitories (furnished with comfortable wooden bedsteads, all covered in patchwork quilts).”

I mean just *look* at its beauty.

Oh, did I mention it’s right next to the kitchens? That’s kind of important.

3. We’re the best friends you could possibly want

We’re loyal, yet seriously underestimated. Quiet at the beginning, but once you get to know us, we’re feisty.

4. Some of the best people ever are Hufflepuffs

Eddie Redmayne plays Newt Scamander (who is a Hufflepuff and adorable) in the new magical movie Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them (Small plug, everyone reading this should see it), and Eddie, too, is a Hufflepuff. Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson – Hufflepuff. Clearly I’m a Hufflepuff. And JK Rowling, the queen herself, is a Hufflepuff. I mean, how could you not love this house??

(Click the gif for an important PSA from Eddie Redmayne) 

5. The community is the most lovely thing to grace this earth

Since we’re often forgotten, the community is actually unbelievable. I’ve personally been stopped at least 3 times by different people while I wore my Hufflepuff shirt. One of them just shouted ‘BEST HOUSE EVER’ as we walked past each other. Another gave me a high five. It’s all love, and I am 1000% here for it.

6. We value hard work, patience, loyalty, and fair play

Many of the Hufflepuff traits are seen as trivial and sometimes unnecessary, but I beg to differ. We fight for equality, we fight for what is right, and we give it all we have. We’re the house of fearless effort while our heart is made of gold, and I could not be more proud to be a part of it. And, to a college-aged woman, these traits can seriously help you in the long run. From class work to job interviews – being a Hufflepuff is seriously beneficial (I can tell you from experience).

7. And, let’s be real, we’re the badgers, how much more badass can you get?

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Sources: 12

Shelly Hank

Notre Dame '19

Shelly (Noun) (pronounced shell-ee) Definition: Notre Dame Grad #LyonsLove, Cat Lady, Hockey Enthusiast, and Taylor Swift disciple.