burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Cold Never Bothered Me Anyway

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I’ve always been one to ignore the weather forecast. Raining? I’m probably wearing wedges. Snowing? That’s me in a skirt. I mean, if you ignore it, it doesn’t exist…right? (Until you get pneumonia. That happened.) I’m notorious for underdressing for the weather.  Despite the fact that I’m from Michigan, I didn’t even own a good winter coat until coming to college.  I still don’t own snow boots. Usually in the winter I suffer through in my ignorant bliss.

But this? THIS is not okay.  I don’t do winter; I especially don’t do whatever this extreme winter is. It’s probably just an elaborate Frozen advertising campaign by Disney (enough already, we get it, we all love Frozen without actually being frozen). To further delineate my feelings on this eternal winter, I have prepared a haiku:

No no snow no noNo snow no snow no snow noNo no no no no

Me walking to class

Okay, enough ranting. However, though it is so cold, as per usual, I refuse to completely succumb to it.  For your enjoyment, and mine, I have compiled a list of ways to stay warm (ish) in this frigid thriving metropolis we call South Bend while still maintaining a semblance of style. *insert sassy hairflip emoji here*

A Cute PeacoatCoats can be ugly—and the worst is how they typically cover up your entire fabulous outfit. Passed a cute boy on south quad? Good thing I wore my ugly puffy coat. Said no one ever. Instead, opt for a stylish, fitted peacoat.  They’re still warm, but can instantly turn you into a picture of sophisticated grace.  That way, when you suddenly see him standing there—a beautiful stranger tall and fair, you don’t want to stuff your face into the snow.

This particular one is my favorite. It’s super fitted around the waist and then has an exaggerated A-line with tulle peeking out from the bottom, which is such an adorable touch.  It can be bought here for $79.99. Stay warm, stay girly.

A Cable Knit Sweater

I’m sure this isn’t news to anyone, but sweaters are great in the winter! Whether they’re chunky, slouchy, or fitted, there’s a million styles.  They’re perfect as they can be both warm and cute. My personal fave is my navy blue Ralph Lauren cable knit.  It fits perfectly, and it’s so much warmer than it looks.  It can be worn on its own, with a scarf or with an oxford shirt underneath for three completely different looks. So versatile! I got mine from an outlet store, but if you’re willing to drop the cash, there’s a pretty nice selection on the RL website.

A Long Cardigan

In addition to a few good pullover sweaters, cardigans, like the Hollister one found here are great layering pieces.  A lot of cardigans look like they’re from a grandma’s closet.  However, with the addition of a cardigan like this one, you can wear your cute spring and summer tees and tanks that haven’t seen the light of day in 5 months without looking matronly. Add a scarf for even more warmth—and you’ve got the perfect cold weather outfit.

Legwarmers

Bear with me here.  I’m not talking 80s Flashdance legwarmers (is that awk if I secretly do love those though?), these are totally cute and totally modern. Underneath a pair of boots or lounging around in your leggings, legwarmers like this add much needed warmth.  Like a sweater for your calves, it’s kind of amazing the difference they make on a windy day.  As someone who wears legwarmers regularly, I can attest to both their style and practicality factors.  Legwarmers like the ones below are all over Wanelo and Etsy in a myriad of colors.

Earmuffs

Again, like the sweaters, this one is pretty self-explanatory. Ear muffs are the best way to keep your ears warm without messing up your hair with a hat. I have ear muffs that double as headphones, which are super amazing as well…but how cute are these?? Who doesn’t love to sport a little ND pride around campus? They’re available here for less than $6!

Scarves and Statement Necklaces

Accessorizing can turn a boring outfit into a fabulous one.  Since it’s so cold, it’s the perfect time to play around with accessories! Your wardrobe is somewhat limited by the weather, so while you’re stuck wearing jeans and sweaters every day, play them up with different scarves and necklaces! There are actually a million ways to wear a scarf, some ideas shown in the picture below.  As for statement necklaces, those who know me may know that I literally am always wearing one.  Even at inappropriate times…like dance company dress rehearsal.  There’s so many fun ones, and the simple addition can completely turn an outfit around.

When it comes down to it, though, bundling up in these subzero temperatures is a necessity (unless you want to lose an ear or two to ol’ Jack Frost).  That being said, how do you keep warm and still look cute all the time? …You don’t.

Awwkkwaarrd.

Every now and then, a good hair day is going to have to be sacrificed for the sake of staying alive.  However, using some of the tips above can help turn drab into fab while we patiently wait (and wait and wait and wait) for spring to arrive!

Happy Day!

…And if you think I used too many Frozen references, well, the only frozen heart around here is yours.

Follow HCND on Twitter and like us on Facebook

icon, all other images linked

Alison is a sophomore Finance major at the University of Notre Dame. Her activities include working as a barista at Starbucks, dancing on the ND Dance Company and spending too much time trying to pick out clothes. Her goal in life is to be Audrey Hepburn, but if that doesn't work out, working for a designer like Lilly Pulitzer, Juicy, Chanel, or Tiffany (Breakfast at Tiffany's?) would be the ideal dream job. You can catch more of her golden wit (and senseless ramblings) on twitter @AlisonJanet124