COACH X PEANUTS: A Fashionable Snoopy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

The Peanuts hold a special place in many people’s hearts, whether from the daily comic strip or holiday specials like It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown or A Charlie Brown Christmas. While the comic strip by Charles M. Schulz began in the 1950s, the Peanuts gang still generates a nostalgia that has led to a continuing presence in pop culture. Recently, the Peanuts gang even appeared… chic?

On June 10, Coach released a limited edition line of handbags and small accessories in collaboration with the Peanuts characters. The lines is actually the second Coach X Peanuts collection. Last October, the first line was released, featuring sketches of Snoopy, Woodstock and the rest of the gang. This time the line’s design uses silhouettes of these characters on various products, creating an adorable line of bags, wallets and accessories that bring back childhood memories and are true to the simplistic style and high quality Coach always delivers.

However, with the Coach quality also comes the Coach price-tag. The purses and accessories range from $20 for a key chain to $2,500 for a large leather snoopy stuffed animal. The purses are priced pretty standard for Coach, starting at $170 for a cross body and continuing up to $450 dollars for a classic satchel. All products of course include a cute silhouette of a favorite Peanuts character.

Coach also incorporated the new collection into their mobile app. You can have the Peanuts characters photobomb pictures, find your Peanuts soulmate and of course shop the collection.

The reasoning behind the collaboration is twofold. Coach has dedicated itself to a series of limited edition projects meant to celebrate the company’s American heritage. The Peanuts were naturally one of the iconic American images chosen. When the first Peanuts collection came out in 2014 Coach’s executive creative director said “Coach has, for so many years, been an American institution so it seems fitting to honor that heritage with iconography that captures moments in American pop culture.” It truly is brilliant to combine two timeless brands into one fun and cute line. 

The original line was so successful, so they created this second one, which is a testament to the lasting influence of Schulz’s cartoons. Before this line they also did a limited edition collaboration with Gary Basemen, a California based artist. The line featured original cartoons drawn by the American artist, again meant to celebrate the American culture through Coach’s own classic style.

The second reason for the collection is the upcoming Peanuts movie. The collaboration is well-timed for the movie’s premier this coming fall. The movie will showcase the characters in CGI animation and 3D. Based on the trailers, the fresh take on the time-honored comic plays on nostalgia, using the simple humor of the original strips in a full-length film. It will be the first attempt at recreating the cast in film in 35 years and since the death of Schulz in 2000. Schulz’s son Craig created the idea in 2006 and worked with his own son Bryan, a screenwriter, to develop the film.  

Despite worry that CGI animation might ruin the integrity and charm of Charles M. Schulz original characters and, Craig wants to make sure the film is still based on his father’s original vision of the Peanuts. Craig emphasized when he debuted the concept that “We need to have absolute quality control and keep it under Dad’s legacy.” Having Schulz’s own family work on the project is reassuring that everything people once loved about the Peanuts will still be in the movie. He said “You can’t bring people in from the outside and expect them to understand ‘Peanuts.’”

The Coach X Peanuts collection is a reminder of past American pop-culture, before political correctness and explicit TV shows and films. Wholesome and iconic, the Peanuts maintain relevance and appeal well past the death of their creator in every facet of culture, from film to fashion. Whoever said you can’t by happiness obviously never saw the Coach X Peanuts collection. Take my advice and check it out here

The HCND application is now open! For more information contact Rebecca Rogalski at rrogalsk@nd.edu or Katrina Linden at klinden1@nd.edu.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Sources: 1234 

Images: 1234567, 8910

Abby Piper

Notre Dame

Abby is a senior studying English, French and Journalism at the University of Notre Dame but remains obsessed with her hometown St. Louis. She loves running, water skiing, writing, watching Christmas movies all year long and The O.C.'s Seth Cohen.