1137cab4 cf5e 4300 aa89 70d63597d573 1a4f349f209580b5fbf8da95dac8816ed?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
1137cab4 cf5e 4300 aa89 70d63597d573 1a4f349f209580b5fbf8da95dac8816ed?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Walmart

Celebrating a Birthday during a Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

As a junior now, I get to experience the joys of celebrating my friends’ 21st birthdays. While it looks a bit different than the bar-hopping and dinners off-campus that we were looking forward to, we have slowly figured out the best ways to safely enjoy the day. Here are some tips to have a successful birthday at any age.

The Outdoors

Being outside has been the only foolproof location to celebrate, with the implementation of the visitation policy and social distancing precautions in place. Getting a speaker and a few blankets to lay down on are necessities for an outdoor celebration. If you are celebrating at night, having a sweatshirt available helps with the cold and the mosquitos.

Things to Do!

While my friends and I love each other, sometimes it gets boring to just talk. We have found that lawn games are super easy ways to be present. Activities like Spikeball, Throw Throw Burrito (a gem) and card games keep things fun! It also adds a bit of ~friendly competition~ to the day.

Good Food

While dining in is not the first option that comes to mind now, there is still some great take-out to savor. Ordering at Rohr’s (with Flex Points!) or going into South Bend for a meal can feel extra special. Online delivery services have a good selection of restaurants to choose from if you do not have access to a car.

Dress Code

If only there was an excuse to wear party clothes despite there (supposedly) not being any parties! Dressing up in fun outfits can be great for an overall vibe and for pictures to show off on Instagram after the night ends. Bonus points for color coordination!

Though it may not be the dream 21st you had in mind your freshman year, you cannot go wrong with emphasizing the little things for a birthday. 

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Lillie Renck

Notre Dame '22

A junior at Notre Dame studying Psychology and Economics, Lillie is a native Long Islander who enjoys pink drinks from Starbucks and great pictures of sunsets.