An Off-Campus Gem: The South Bend Farmer’s Market

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”

– J.R.R. Tolkien

Did you know that South Bend has a farmer’s market? That it’s open year-round, even in the snow? Or that puppies can be spotted, pet, or even purchased there?

I remember reading about it in some South Bend tourism brochure when I first visited ND as a high-school senior. “Hmmmm,” I thought, already orchestrating grand plans of weekend trips with other Farley girls. Little did I know that, as a freshman, I would barely have the chance to balance football and homework catch-up, let alone time for off-campus outings.

Fast-forward to this past away-game weekend, when life at ND is still a whirlwind, but when the September sunshine tends to lure students out and about. So with my reusable canvas bag in hand, off I sped along St. Joseph’s River toward South Bend’s very own farmer’s market (Note: although it’s about three miles away, the market is still accessible on bike via the riverside path on Northside Boulevard, and, trust me, it’s a gorgeous ride.)

The moment you walk inside (yes, it’s indoors), fruits and vegetables are everywhere. In season this month: tomatoes, peaches, blueberries, peppers, and zucchini, just to name a few. The produce is reasonably priced, and much of it is organically grown, or at least without pesticides.

Many of the stalls serve as permanent homes for family-owned farms to sell their produce, manned by the farmers themselves or their family members. At Hovenkamp’s Produce stall, Elaine Hovencamp sells tomatoes, lettuce, and mushrooms, among other salad-type produce. Recently, she has begun growing and selling figs. Although her produce is not officially “organic,” she and her family use no pesticides, opting instead to use ladybugs as pest-control.

“It’s family,” said Ms. Hovencamp of the market’s atmosphere. “I’ve watched almost four generations of shoppers go by. I probably see some people more than their family members do!” Her husband, Jack Hovencamp, now 63, has been a fixture at the market since age 2. A farmer’s market builds up trust within a community. “It’s a meeting-place for family and friends. You see kids coming home from college on breaks, who ask to come to the market. It’s very, very personal.”

It’s also delicious. Along with a slew of produce items, the market offers pies, cookies, breads, coffee, local honey, jams, and grass-fed meats, as well as fresh-cut flowers (okay, flowers aren’t edible, but they do smell nice). During the winter, all of these goods stick around unchanged, while much of the produce is imported from the country’s warmer parts.  

If any of you off-campus collegiettes find your way here, you have access to some of the best local food Michiana has to offer (you can also join awesome sustainable co-ops like this one). And for us on-campus dwellers, every dorm kitchen needs to be used sometime, right? Salad is easy. And everyone can eat more salad. Tomatoes, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, some salt, maybe some cheese, et voilà. I mean, we’re still in college, but pretending to be grown-up is gratifying every once in a while. So grab your reusable canvas bags and get out into South Bend for an hour or two. When your food is good, your life is good.  

Photo provided by author.

Sharon Rose

Notre Dame '14

.
Katie Fusco

Notre Dame

A senior English and American Studies double major at the University of Notre Dame, Katie is passionate about media, education, and public history.