Campus Cutie: The Irish Bachelorette – Kirsten Fernandez ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

This past fall, NDTV aired the new student-run show titled The Irish Bachelorette. Set in weekly installments, the production centered around one ND girl as she went through group and individual dates with several lucky guys on campus in true Bachelorette style. One winner was announced at the end of the season (which, by the way, was definitely more entertaining to watch than the original show. Who wouldn’t like to watch cute ND guys on TV every week?!). This weekend, I got a chance to sit down with the star of the show and ask her some questions about her experience.

Name: Kirsten Fernandez

Year: Junior

Hall: Badin

Hometown: Danville, California

Major: Applied Math, Actuarial Science

Favorite ND memory: Last year, me and about 30 friends took a spring break trip down to Alabama which was really fun. Of course, I also enjoy all the football games!

So, tell me about Irish Bachelorette. What did you like about your experience?

I met a bunch of new people that I never would’ve met if I hadn’t done the show. All the producers for NDTV were a lot of fun. We had such a great time because besides me being there as the main person in the show, the crew was there 24/7. Even for the one-on-one dates, the crew would always be there and we definitely got to know each other really well.

How did you get picked to be the Irish Bachelorette?

One of my friends is a producer, which is how I got involved. I really wanted to give them a good show, because a lot of the producers on NDTV use the footage/experience for applications and resumes.

What was your favorite date?

For one of the final dates, me and Wes went to Sorin’s (in the Morris Inn), which was delicious (free steak!)

What was the hardest part about filming?

The elimination ceremonies were really tough. Since the show was shot over a span of 10 days, I didn’t know the guys very well so it was hard deciding which ones to say goodbye to. I hoped they didn’t take it too personally!

Gender relations are notoriously strained at ND. How do you think the show reacted to this?

I never really understood why people kept saying that gender relations were weird for the first couple of years on campus because I had a long-distance boyfriend. But now I see it all the time- and it is really weird! I definitely think the show shed some light on the awkwardness of our dating scene (but it was still fun!)

Do you suggest an Irish Bachelor?

I know people would definitely be interested in it, but I do feel like the dynamic would be totally different in a show like that.

Has anyone come up to you to talk about the show before?

No one has yet- I wish they would!

Would you do the show again?

I knew you were going to ask that- I think once was enough! I just hope I provided people with some quality entertainment (or a chance to laugh at me!) 

For more campus news and entertainment, like HCND on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!

Alex Duffy

Notre Dame

Alex is a freshman business major living in Badin Hall (go Bullfrogs!). When she's not biking around campus or eating at South Dining Hall, you can find her walking Cooper the cocker spaniel around North Quad, running the lakes, or manning the front desk at McKenna Hall. Her guilty pleasures include Grey's Anatomy, four-cheese pasta, Pinterest DIY's, and yoga.