Campus Cutie: Erin Byrnes ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Rising junior Erin Byrnes is this week’s campus cutie. Erin loves her powder blue Mustang and jamming out to the oldies. She was also kind enough to take time out of her final days of freedom before returning to campus for summer classes to talk to Her Campus about herself and her summer, completely via iMessage! 

Name: Erin Byrnes
Year: 2016 
Major: Political Science with a minor in Poverty Studies and Anthropology
Hometown: Morris Plains, New Jersey
Dorm: Lewis Hall
Relationship Status: Permanent passenger of the single bus out of No Relationship Station 
Opening Line:  Probably just a creepy ‘hi’ with an uncomfortable level of eye contact

How are you spending your summer? Anything in particular that will make us jealous?

Um, well… The internship search did not go so great, so I will be taking summer classes at Notre Dame starting next week. Other than that, I got tickets tosee Steve Miller, Journey, and Tom Petty this summer, so I’ve got that going for me, which is nice. 

What’s your song of the summer?

Well I’ve been feeling “Hotel California” recently, but I’ll throw in “Am I Wrong” for the sub-60 year old age set.

Also honorable mention this radio station by me keeps playing that song you showed me about the guy paranoid about his two b****es finding out about each other*…That actually might be my song of the summer.

*(That song is “Paranoid” by Ty Dolla $ign, and it is this reporter’s jam.)

Celebrity Summer Fling?

Michael Fassbender in X-Men had me feelng some type of way :P

Getting tan or TV binge-a-thon?

Well seeing how I’m pale, get burns worthy of Ellen DeGeneris photo gallery submission, and have a Netflix subscription, I would have to say overwhelmingly catching up on shows – just finished all of “Scandal,” “Orange is the New Black,” and I’m 6 seasons deep into “Friends.”

But best part of being home?

Sleep, my dog and cat, and quality pizza!

Worst part of being home? 

Awkwardly running into people from high school I haven’t seen in 2 years and being forced to make small talk with them…

Are you ‘Domesick’?

I actually am quite Domesick, for my friends currently spread out around the continental U.S. and the suburbs of Chicago.

Class you’re most looking forward to this fall? Least?

I’m looking most forward to my Confronting Homelessness class, as I’m involved with volunteering with homeless shelters around South Bend and I’m excited to be in a class that relates to that experience and has a service element instead of just sitting around and theorizing about how to help people

My least favorite class next semester would be intermediate Spanish I, as my Spanish linguistic skills are questionable at best and I cannot drop out of this class (again).

I can’t not talk about your Jersey roots. What’s a stereotype about Jersey you hate?

If one more person asks me if I’m from “joisey.” I will slap somebody. Also, we’re not all rude a******s and the type of people who go down the shore and act like douchebags are all from Staten Island. 

Ok, ok well which ones are true?

The tans are real. There were so many bad spray tans at my prom that I was questioning whether or not these people jumped into a vat of orange paint before getting ready. Also road rage is a real thing in New Jersey, and speed limits are rarely observed.

I’m not sure how to work this in better but here it goes: You refuse to wear a parka or suitable snow boots in the harsh South Bend winters. Explain.

A parka is literally the most hideous invention known to man, and I refuse to beget my fashion principles and look like a Eskimo in the winter for the sole purpose of warming my a**. As for the boots, I gave into those and bought a pair of Bean Boots after almost contracting frostbite in my toes, and maintain that even Bean Boots are hideous and to be avoided. Although I enjoy having 10 toes, so they will be a part of my fashion routine for the foreseeable future.

Closing Line:

I didn’t choose the thug life, the thug life chose me… Actually if you replace “thug” with “Netflix” that would probably be more accurate.

Pictured above is Erin’s dog, the thing she said she missed most about home. Below is the conversation that followed her sending me his picture. 

Me: Cute dog. What’s its name? 

Erin: Snoop Dog, pun intended

Me:You’re lying!

Erin: Do I need to send you his dog license?

Me: Who named him?

Erin: My brother, he was going through a gangster rap phase in the early 2000’s

Me: That’s amazing.

Erin: I told you I didn’t choose this thug life

Me: Naming your Yorkie Snoop Dogg was a great decision

Erin: I know, although we had to refer him as Snoop Lion for a while after the name change

Thanks, Erin!

XO,

HCND

Follow HCND on Twitter and like us on Facebook

Images provided by author

Victoria is a Junior Political Science major and Journalism minor hailing from Atlanta, Georgia. As you'd expect, she loves writing about politics in a tireless attempt to help people realize that politics matter. When she's not standing on her soapbox, she enjoys music, food, football, and reminding people to check their privilege. In the winter months, you can find her near the closest heater listening to country songs and counting the days until break.