Campus Celebrity Abroad: Sara Spitt ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

The semester may be over in South Bend, but for those of us in Bologna, Italy, a month and a half of exams stands between us and summer vacation. So, while I’m still here procrastinating and such, I figured I might as well interview myself. Our semester began in January and ends in June, but I get to stay in the beautiful country of Italy until August! It was great to reflect on my semester and I hope you enjoy! 

I made pasta

Name: Sara Spitt

Year: Class of 2015

Hometown: Wheaton, Illinois 

Dorm: Former resident of PW

Major: Theology, Peace Studies, and Italian

Abroad Program: Bologna, Italy Spring 2014 – Indiana University Bologna Consortial Studies Program

NDH/SDH: NDH

Campus Activities: Her Campus ND, The Dome Yearbook, Student Government, Office of University Relations, SAO, Tour Guide, PW hall council…

Paris is beautiful

If you could go back to freshman year and tell yourself one thing you know now, what would it be? FOMO is stupid. You will have friends even if you stay in some nights.

What is the #1 item on your ND bucket list? #1 is finishing the Holy Half, closely followed by climbing Stepan

What is your best ND memory so far? I have a really bad memory so I can’t quite pinpoint something but I know I’ve been having a great time.

What is the most played song on your iPod right now? The entire Childish Gambino album “Because the Internet”

What is a little known fact about you? I occasionally re-watch every episode of Gilmore Girls.

Who is your celebrity crush? Alexander Hamilton. Living? I will never not be in love with Dulè Hill

What three words would you use to describe yourself? Organized, enthusiastic, tired

What’s your favorite movie quote? “I know you can be overwhelmed, and you can be underwhelmed, but can you ever just be whelmed?” “I think you can in Europe.” (The answer is yes, I am constantly whelmed when in Europe.)

The Mediterranean Sea

What is your favorite part about studying abroad? I love being independent! This is the perfect step before senior year and then stepping out into the real world.

What is your go-to Bologna study spot? Anywhere that isn’t my apartment – I can never concentrate when my roommates are around!

Where have you had the best “going out” experience? So many memorable nights… Any time we had a huge group from our study abroad program hitting the bars it is SO much fun!

What has been your best trip so far? I only left Italy twice this semester – I did a trip to Paris and one to Vienna and Salzburg. But, in all honesty I loved Rome. I went there for Holy Week and Easter – seriously cannot be topped!

Three essential travel accessories (e.g. clothes, books, electronics)? Phone charger, face wash, and comfy shoes! I always seem to forget my face wash… I recommend not doing that.

How have you changed since you’ve been abroad? Having to communicate with everyone in a foreign language has been such a challenge but it has also made me so much more confident! It’s hard approaching strangers and asking for help in English, imagine doing it in Italian!

What’s the weirdest thing that has happened to you while abroad? So many weird things have happened – I think it’s because I’m blonde.

Best food you’ve had and where? Everything in Italy is incredible. I haven’t had a bad meal but the BAGUETTES IN PARIS. I dream about them.

Drinking beer at an Augustinian monastery in Salzburg

What do you miss most about Notre Dame? I just miss the people! Especially now that everyone is done with school and the seniors are graduating, I really wish I could be there!

How do you keep in touch with your family and friends? iMessage and What’s App! I also keep up with my blog and post all my pictures on Facebook.

Why did you choose Bologna spring for your study abroad experience? I wanted the full immersion experience and this has definitely lived up to the expectations. All of my classes are in Italian, my roommates are Italian, and I can only speak with my program director and academic coordinator in Italian.

What has the hardest part of living abroad been for you? See above. Communication is less than ideal. Also getting my hair cut was really scary but it had to be done.

What will you miss most about being abroad when you are back in the States? The food, the wine, wearing all black and having it be acceptable…

What do you wish you could change about the Bologna program? I love it; there isn’t much I would change about it but I could have used a little more help finding my apartment at the very beginning of the program.  

Describe your perfect day in Bologna! Cappuccino and brioche at a café, then sitting in the piazza with friends, pizza for lunch and pasta and wine for dinner! As you can see, my life here revolves around food. 

Would you recommend this program to a friend? Absolutely!

Tips for those considering study abroad? Really think about what you want to get out of a study abroad program and then go for it! But don’t do it if you just want to go to Notre Dame overseas – get into it! Try to blend in and understand the culture.

Do you have a blog we can share? 

Of course! Click here please :)

For more campus celebrities, follow HCND on Twitter and like us on Facebook

Images provided by author

Sara Spitt

Notre Dame

Meet HCND's current Campus Coordinator and Editor-in-Chief! Originally from outside of Chicago, Sara is a Senior Peace Studies, Theology, and Italian major at Notre Dame (yes, that is three majors; no, she doesn't have any free time). When she isn't painting her nails, Sara enjoys cooking vegetarian friendly dishes, taking pictures for The Dome yearbook, and reading for fun. Sara began writing for Her Campus Notre Dame in May of 2013 and quickly fell in love with the site and it's staff! After writing for the inagural editorial staff (shout-out to AnnaLee, Katie, and Lex!) for a semester, Sara decided to branch out and become an editor. She particularly enjoys doing interviews and sharing travel expereinces, as well as connecting with the HCND reader network through thought-provoking social commentaries. If you like what you read from her on a weekly basis, this self-proclaimed "Queen of Social Media" has several accounts for you to follow - twitter, instagram (@saraspit22), tumblr, and a blog!