burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Bundle Up: 5 Cute Ideas for Your Winter Going-Out Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

As any South Bend socialite knows, going out in the winter can be quite a battle, and it can seem almost impossible to strike a good balance between looking cute and staying warm. A bulky jacket can clash with the adorable outfit you planned, and winter boots will never look quite as good as your go-to black heels. However, there are some cold weather clothing alternatives that look cute and will keep you cozy as you head out for the night and will have you feeling ready for wherever the night takes you. Here are some suggestions of essential pieces to add to your winter going-out wardrobe.

1. Cropped Sweaters

This adorable sweater alternative is perfect for nights out in the winter, as it keeps you warm while still maintaining a fun and flirty look. Whether you prefer a solid color or a subtle pattern, a cropped sweater is an excellent addition to your clothing collection and offers a wide variety of outfit opportunities.

If you’re looking for a cropped sweater with a unique shape and a bit of a print, check out this great option from Free People. For more of a traditional knit sweater in a solid color, try this one from Urban Outfitters.

Pair with: dark-wash jeans, leggings, boots, or a skirt with tights

2. Combat Boots

These shoes will keep your feet covered and comfortable whether you’re waiting for a cab or walking to a party, and they’re great for trekking through the snow (which we do very often in South Bend). For extra warmth, or if you anticipate that you’ll be walking far distances, try wearing these boots with a pair of thick socks. Or if you’re feeling particularly adventurous, try out these unique knit leg warmers from Free People.

For a trendy pair of boots in a standard fall color, check out this pair from Steve Madden. If you’re looking for something with a bit of a feminine touch, try this subtly floral pair from Francesca’s.

Pair With: jeans or leggings, warm socks

3. Leather Jacket

This is a spectacular option if you don’t like having to bring a coat when you go out. By incorporating a leather jacket into your outfit, you can stay warm while still looking fabulous. This type of jacket can be worn with a variety of tops and blouses, or even with that summer tank top that you thought you wouldn’t be able to wear again once the weather grew colder. A leather jacket is a great solution for making the most out of your wardrobe, regardless of the season.

For a light gray jacket that has a bit of an edge, check out this option from Francesca’s Collections. If you’re looking for black leather jacket that is a little more unique, try this from Urban Outfitters.

Pair With: dark-wash jeans, colored pants, leggings, blouses

4. Leggings and Tights

Leggings are a super comfortable alternative to traditional pants, and will keep your legs warm while you’re out and about. You can spice up an outfit with leggings in different patterns and colors, or stick with classic black. You can even try a pair of printed tights to add a creative touch to your ensemble.

Check out these printed leggings from Nordstrom, or get creative with a pair of printed tights from Francesca’s Collections. If you’re looking for additional warmth, try these fleece-lined tights from Urban Outfitters.

Pair With: colorful tops, cropped sweaters, skirts and dresses

5. Booties

Booties are an adorable winter alternative to your summer heels, as they keep your toes covered but still have a heel. These classic shoes come in a wide variety of colors and styles, and offer the best of both worlds for shoe lovers: they’re a boot and a heel!

For a standard pair of booties, check out this Crown Vintage pair from DSW. Or if you’re feeling a little more adventurous, try this pair from Francesca’s Collections.

Pair With: jeans, leggings, dresses and skirts

Follow the HCND Pinterest account, pin with us, and remember to keep posted with HCND on TwitterInstagram, and Facebook!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9