Bringing XC Back: Luly Brea ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

It’s a little-known fact that in Toy Story when Woody said, “Run like the wind, Bullseye,” he was actually referring to Luly Brea. Not only is this runner and sophomore CHEG major a-track-tive; she’s also deserving of much better puns than that one. The world may never know why she continues to make the lengthy trek up to chilly South Bend from Miami, but we’re sure glad she does.

Meet my roommate, the girl who sometimes runs 10 miles before I even roll out of my loft in the morning!

The basics…

Name: Luly (Lourdes) Brea

Year: Sophomore

Dorm: Cavanaugh Hall

Major: Chemical Engineering

Hometown: Miami, Florida

Extracurricular activities: Cross Country and Track teams, tutoring student athletes, “kind of in some clubs”– Society of Women Engineers and Habitat for Humanity

How did you get from Miami to South Bend?

“The weather was a big selling point. I just want to be really cold for, like, most of the year.”

But in all seriousness: “At first I didn’t think I was going to come here at all. But then I visited and loved it (even in the winter), and things just fell into place. It was between Notre Dame and staying home in Miami, and I decided I wanted to go off and be independent.”

Are there ANY upsides to South Bend?

“Actually, yes! The people here are nicer, less superficial. In Miami people can sometimes be very into appearances and how they look, so it’s nice to be around people who aren’t.”

How was the transition from an all-girls high school?

“I didn’t think it was too tough. All-girls schools can be a little dramatic. I like having guys in my classes now, but it was also good not having to care at all what I look like or anything… Not that I care that much right now.

What’s it really like being a student-athlete?

“It’s hard because it’s a lot of work… with not much sleep. But on the other hand, it’s so much fun to be on a team, and I love putting in the work and the practice and seeing the results.

I also just love everyone on the (cross country/track) team! And I really like being part of something separate from school. It’s kind of a stress reliever; it’s somewhere I don’t have to think about school and all that sucky stuff.”

What are some team traditions that we’re allowed to know about?

Well, the guys’ team used to give terrible haircuts to initiate everyone at the beginning of the season, but they don’t do that anymore. We also have a big team dance (SYT) every year that’s pretty fun. Before school started this year, we had camp and went to this place called Potato Creek, where we trained, played games, and had lots of bonding time. There was no wifi, but it was kind of cool to disconnect and do other things. 

What do you like to do in your nonexistent free time?

I like to sleep and watch Netflix – I’m currently watching 30 Rock.

Tis the season…

What do you want for Christmas?

Probably clothes, definitely good grades on my finals

Favorite Christmas song?

So This is Christmas – John Lennon, Christmas in the ghetto

Everything else…

So, how do you feel about Pitbull?

“I feel like he’s like my dad. I look to him as a role model and I always think ‘What would Pitbull do?’ before I make any big decisions in my life. I was like, “Would Pitbull come to Notre Dame? Probably… he likes to try new things.’ His songs are really inspirational and they motivate me to be my best.”

Favorite DH food?

Does fro-yo count? I like to treat myself

Favorite place on campus?

The dining halls. I always stay there and stall forever because I like not having to think about all the work I have to do. You’re not really in the real world.

What’s on your ND bucket list?

Going out and chilling on the rooftop right outside our second floor room (even though they’re nailing in all the screens to stop us from doing that)

What are you currently jamming to?

Right now, I like the Weeknd a lot

Favorite Parks and Rec character?

Oh gosh, I’m in love with everyone on the show. Probably Andy.

Favorite movie?

For comedy: Anchorman, Zoolander, and Hot Rod (mostly for Andy Samberg). Non-comedy: Moulin Rouge

Favorite stage of Miley Cyrus?

Her current stage; it’s just so interesting and entertaining. I follow her on Instagram, and she posts the most ridiculous things.

Favorite quote?

“The only time I set the bar low is for limbo” – Michael Scott

Thanks for the interview, Luly… and for all the times you’ve lovingly supplied our room with training table berries! 

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

All images provided by author

Katie Eilert

Notre Dame

Katie Eilert is a sophomore at the University of Notre Dame, where she is studying Marketing with minors in Poverty Studies and indecisiveness. She hails from Kansas City (the Kansas side, hold the Wizard of Oz references) but currently resides with the Chaos of Cavanaugh Hall, and she never stops talking about either one. She is an avid college basketball fan to make up for her own lack of hand-eye coordination and spends the rest of her time thinking of terrible puns, running, reading, and drinking too much coffee. Go Irish!