A Brief Interview with the Beautiful Gracie Watkins ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Take a few minutes to enjoy the succinct wit of Gracie Watkins, a brilliant sophomore who reads rapturously, creates with intensity, and appreciates a (passable) plate of Nachos Bel Grande after midnight. She’s the perfect company for coffee and conversation, and as expected, gave a unique and compelling interview.

Quick Facts

Name: Gracie Watkins

Year: Sophomore (Class of 2017)

Hometown: San Diego, CA

Dorm: Badin

Major: Philosophy with a minor in Philosophy, Politics, and Economics

Clubs/Activities: College Democrats co-president, Society for Entrepreneurship co-chair, legal associate of JIFFI, SCC member, Kellogg research assistant

Relationship status: haha

So Here’s the Story…

What are some of the best things about being a student at Notre Dame?

The academics, the community, the religious aspect. I’ve also only seen two spiders in my two years here, which isn’t bad at all.

Do you have a favorite Notre Dame memory?

Any day I walk out of Badin and am not immediately surrounded by a lot of creepy geese.

Why did you decide to major in philosophy?

I find it fascinating and extremely useful. I have never been bored by it, which is not something I can say about any other subject. The downside is that I am getting increasingly sickly and bookish.

Can you tell us about a few books that have deeply affected you?

Pale Fire (Vladimir Nabokov), Brief Interviews with Hideous Men (David Foster Wallace), Disgrace (J.M. Coetzee) The Little Prince (Antoine de San-Exupéry), In the Lake of the Woods (Tim O’Brien), Just Kids (Patti Smith), Bough Down (Karen Green), East of Eden (John Steinbeck)

Most recently played artists on Spotify?

A lot of Glass Animals, Rufus Wainwright, Jackson Browne, Beck, and Die Antwoord lately.

Movie you will never tire of watching?

Either Harold & Maude or Once

Favorite class at ND?

History of Modern Philosophy with Dr. Newlands

Random fact?

Over summer I got bitten by a poisonous spider and had to have the site of the bites cut out and stitched. I then went to Berlin just in time for Germany to win the World Cup. When I was out celebrating in the streets with friends, someone set off fireworks out of a bottle near me. It shattered and I got glass shards in my stitches. Now my ankle is pretty sad looking.

What do you look for in a guy?

Enthusiastic about party streamers, general reluctance to make eye contact with me, able to recite Euler’s Number ad nauseam, etc.

In all seriousness, intelligence and kindness are most important.

Describe your ideal date.

Most dates that have had an athletic component have resulted in bodily harm for me. So something that requires no actual movement. Lots of good conversation is usually a marker of a successful date.

Something about guys that you will never understand?

They seem to be really itchy everywhere, which is frankly really concerning to me.

If a guy wanted to get to know you better, how should he go about it?

He should submit a formal request through SAO or maybe ask me to get coffee.

Mil Preguntas

For my beloved philosopher-friend, I have selected a set of questions from “Mil Preguntas,” a poem by Notre Dame alum Gary Gaffney ’69. (The poem is exactly what it sounds like: a list of one thousand questions.)

What is the penance for the sin of convenience?

Boredom

What is knowledge in a stupid world?

Absolution

Does art have to misbehave?

No, but it should

Is love just chemicals?

Absolutely not

Who are you?

Hopefully I will never have a clean, succinct answer to that

Thanks for the killer interview, Gracie.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images courtesy of the interviewee.

Elizabeth Troyer studies English Literature at the University of Notre Dame. Originally hailing from the dry air and dusty foothills of Boise, Idaho, she likes to read, drink coffee, and eat chocolate chips straight from the bag.