Boogie Nights: A Girl’s Guide to Touchdown Dances

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Last month, Late Night Host Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake hosted a segment on Jimmy’s show called the “Evolution of End Zone Dancing.” The segment showed off Jimmy and Justin’s SNL-worthy comedic chops and some fine dance moves, and even included a jab at Manti Te’o when they played out what “Manti Te’o On A Date” purportedly looks like. But while enjoying the sweet moves of JT on screen (I could have been mesmerized for hours), I started to realize the complexity of what started out as some macho guys shakin’ their booties after a touchdown.

Here, I break down arguably the most popular celebratory moves of the field.

1. The Celebratory Salute
    One of the most common types of celebratory “dances” is the classic salute. This involves the proud player looking solemnly and respectably up to the sky, saluting the general audience. It’s unclear whether the player is saluting his fans, his team, fallen loved ones, or his country, or perhaps the player thinks of himself a soldier within the massive army of the NFL. Whatever the case, this action creates a lasting image in the fans’ mind.

2. The Dirty Bird
    Another fan favorite is the “Dirty Bird,” made most famous by the Atlanta Falcon’s Jamal Anderson in the 1998 playoff season. This move requires the successful player imitating a bird flying about the end zone, usually with the likes of his fellow teammates joining him. Although an oldie but goodie, this move is still seen in the NFL and NCAA leagues today. Perhaps this can be attributed to the awesomely appropriate R. Kelly hit, “Fly Like and Eagle” that seems to be played every season in a major football stadium.

3. The Crowd Leap
    Who can remember Golden Tate taking a jumping leap into the student section after a massive ND touchdown in 2008? Not only were the students surprised, but they became even more pumped up after the star ND wide receiver celebrated with them after putting up another 6 points for the home team. No doubt that this celebratory move is the #1 fan favorite- what fan wouldn’t want their star player to celebrate with them?? Not this ND girl. Come on over #85- we’ll be happy to celebrate with you in the end zone. ;)

4. The Spike
    What does every little kid do when they score a touchdown in the backyard with their dad? Spike the ball of course! This move is so symbolic of the celebratory touchdown that we as little kids even incorporate it into our behavior. The spiking of the ball is still extremely popular today, but some collegiate players have gotten in trouble over the past couple of years for being “unsportsmanlike” while enacting this move. Whatever the case, this one’s a classic and always will be.

5. The Chest Bump
    Lastly, no matter who you are, anyone who has watched a single football game has seen the celebratory chest pump on TV. Whether it is for a first down or the ultimate score, players seem to find this as their go-to move. Maybe they enjoy getting closer to their teammates? Or maybe because it’s the safest move (based on all the regulations regarding excessive celebration) on the field? No matter what the reason, the chest bump is by and large the football-wide favorite in and out of the end zone.

So next time you’re watching your favorite NFL team or our boys and blue and gold next Saturday, check out their moves- you may seem some that you recognize. 

Photos: 1, 2, 3

When not shopping online or checking the scores of her hometown Pittsburgh sports teams, Kelsey spends most of her time reading up on the latest celebrity gossip and laughing with friends. A Marketing major at ND, Kelsey loves skiing, taking long walks around the lake, grabbing Starbucks with friends, and watching as much football, hockey, and Downton Abbey as possible. She can spend countless hours scrolling through Tumblr posts and loves John Mayer. Follow her on Twitter @kelseybirsic and Tumblr @kelsbirs !
AnnaLee Rice

Notre Dame

AnnaLee Rice is a senior at the University of Notre Dame with a double major in Economics and Political Science and a minor in PPE. In addition to being the HCND Campus Correspondent, she is editor-in-chief of the undergraduate philosophy research journal, a research assistant for the Varieties of Democracy project, and a campus tour guide.  She believes in democracy and Essie nailpolish but distrusts pumpkin spice lattes because they are gross.