The Biggest Night in Fashion: A Met Gala Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Fasten your fashion seatbelts, ladies and gents. We’re about to go on a magic (red) carpet ride and tour the biggest night of fashion: The Met Gala. This year celebrated the opening of the Costume Institute’s Commes des Garꞔons exhibition. The guests showed up in some bold pieces… and we have a lot to discuss.

The Do’s

Liu Wen in Off-White

The Chinese model made a splash on the red carpet with this incredible mix of fabrics. Her delicate, embellished top is tastefully juxtaposed with a distressed denim bottom half that makes you question both form and function. She brought a unique take on femininity to the red carpet.

Emmy Rossum in Carolina Herrera and Christian Louboutin shoes

My girl Emmy: the definition of style and grace. Not much more to say. This look is just classic.

Rita Ora in custom Marchesa and custom Casadei shoes

Ora told Vogue that some of her inspiration came from the way Rei Kawakubo uses red. Personally one of my favorite looks from the whole Met Gala, Ora’s fitted illusion tulle corset really captured the essence of a woman’s body. I was amazed with how this piece turned out.

Zendaya in Dolce and Gabbana Alta Moda

With a new clothing line out on the market, Zendaya is making strides in her career. This young one slays the red carpet every time I see her. She’s bold, brilliant, and beautiful. Her looks never disappoint. I was particularly impressed with the pop of color – it seemed like more celebrities stuck with subdued nudes or black/white. The celebs who stood out to me the most, Zendaya included, all brought a spark to the red carpet with eye-catching brights. And can we just take a moment to appreciate her hair? LOVE.

Selena Gomez in Coach and Tiffany jewelry and The Weeknd in a Valentino tuxedo

My favorite look of the Met Gala goes to Selena. Her collaboration with Coach has definitely showed how much she’s grown over the years as her fashion matures. The gown was stunning, and her date didn’t look half bad either!

Bee Shaffer in Alexander McQueen

Anna Wintour’s daughter Bee is always stunning. Always. Look her up. I guarantee you she will always look like a gem. The Met Gala was truly graced by her class and timelessness.

The Don’ts

Lil Yachty in custom Moschino

I definitely understand where this was going. Several celebs attempted the all-white look. I just think it’s a tad extra. Hate me if you wish.

Solange Knowles in Thom Browne and Bulgari jewelry

I am in love with her music, but Solange’s Met Gala look just had me confused. I was literally asking “Where Do We Go From Here?”… She basically wore a puffer coat in dress form. She’s never been one to fit in, though. I’ll give her that. I love a woman who defies conformity.

Madonna in Moschino

I don’t even need to say anything. This was just all types of wrong.

Bella Hadid in Alexander Wang and Bulgari jewelry

I really didn’t dig the whole see-through look this year. Too many celebrities tried it and failed. Sorry, Bella. Try again next time. I don’t care if you look good. It’s just… uncomfy.

Kendall Jenner in La Perla and Christian Louboutin shoes

Here’s another see-through look that just didn’t make the cut for me. You could straight up see her butt. It was trashy and tasteless. I don’t care if she’s Kendall Jenner. I was not a fan. I wish her dress would have matched her classy hair and makeup.

Katy Perry in Maison Margiela

Why? Yes, I know. Huge fashion statement. She’s Katy Perry. This is just something she does.

The I Don’t Really Know’s

Rihanna in a Comme des Garꞔons dress, Rihanna Loves Chopard jewelry and Dsquared2 shoes

Props to Rihanna for trying a CDG look. I was really impressed that she did this. I’m just not a fan of the shoes. I think the point was to draw more attention to the dress. However, while the shoes are minimal in that they only create thin lines on the legs, they do travel all the way up the thigh and slightly cut off Rihanna’s lines. That woman has some good lines. She needed to embrace and work those lines. But then again, did many other people pull off the CDG look? Nope. So bonus points for Rihanna.

The 2017 Met Gala was truly one to remember. From the good, to the bad, to the ugly, we can decide on one thing: the new Costume Institute exhibition is going to be incredible. It will be wonderful to see Rei Kawakubo’s work come to life.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, All other images provided by Vogue.com

Well hi there! My name is Madelyn, and I'm a freshman at the University of Notre Dame majoring in Pre-Medicine and Romance Languages. I'm a lover of all things fashion and beauty, and it's my dream to intern with a magazine one day. You can catch me perusing Vogue, singing in the Opera, dancing with Troop ND, boxing for exercise, and obsessing over anything pink. I hope you can find something lovely in my articles that sticks with you! Cheers!! XO