Best Restaurants When the ‘Rents are in Town

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Going out to eat is definitely not in the average college girl’s budget. Football season means parents are in town, which proves to be the perfect excuse to get off campus for some fine dining without reaching for your wallet. 

Evil Czech Brewery and Pub House

This place NEVER disappoints. This craft house serves everything from traditional comfort foods such as burgers and wings to cauliflower-based tacos. No matter who you bring, everyone will find something they like. They support the farm-to-table movement and invest in locally-sourced options as much as possible: beer made in house, spirits made at a local distillery and food from local farms to name a few. After your meal, make sure to check out their cool gift shop filled with a variety of tees and artwork!

Pro tip: If you have the time Saturday or Sunday morning, their weekend brunch menu is to die for!

East Bank Emporium Restaurant

Located right along the Saint Joseph’s river, the Emporium is a great place to take family members during their first to South Bend. This restaurant has been a staple in the South Bend community for over 30 years. The Emporium serves American-style dishes in insanely huge portions. Their appetizer menu boasts a variety of options ranging from Baked Brie in Puff Pastry to Mozzarella Wedges perfect for splitting between your party. The wait staff is extremely friendly, the food is amazing and the portions are huge. The building was originally built in 1912 and has been reconstructed to create a super rustic, yet comforting vibe. Weather permitting, they have a great patio where you can look over the river for an amazing view of South Bend. 

Parisi’s Ristorante Italiano

Just across the street from campus, this upscale Italian restaurant has a super cozy and intimate ambiance. If their 4.5 ratings on TripAdvisor don’t give you enough reason to go, their authentic pasta dishes should make you head there immediately. All of their food is made from scratch (a nice break from the dining halls), and the bread they bring before your meal will be gone in minutes. One major tip would be to make reservations earlier than anticipated if you plan on going during a football weekend. They can have close to 500 reservations for a typical Football Friday.

Café Navarre Bar & Restaurant

This is definitely the most high-end restaurant on the list, but worth the one-time splurge. Located in the heart of downtown. Café Navarre brings a mix of “modern American cuisine with European influences, distinguished by its simplicity, flavor, and respect for ingredients.” As their website suggests, “the fusion of Old World-style architecture, natural light, and the finest furnishings create a big city atmosphere” right here in South Bend. The Café takes pride in its seafood offerings as well as a rotational seasonal menu.

Papa Vino’s Italian Kitchen

Let me start by saying this place is huge. On my first visit, my party and I must have walked through five rooms before getting to our table. As big as it is, the staff makes sure to treat everyone with special care throughout the dining experience. Papa Vino’s makes a great substitute if you want delicious Italian food that’s somewhat more affordable compared to Parisis. This casual Italian eatery has a menu with endless options of pasta, pizza and other Italian classics. Make sure you ask for the Italian bread with Italian Butter Oil as it’s a huge local fan favorite.

Photos 1,2, and 3 provided by author

Kelly Biladeau

Notre Dame '21

My name is Kelly and I'm a junior marketing major and sociology minor at the University of Notre Dame. You can find me either running/biking outside or curled up with my dog watching a musical inside.