The Best Apps for Collegiettes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

There’s no doubt that the life of a collegiette is busy; days full of classes, meetings, study sessions, and other chores can feel as exhausting as running a marathon. Amidst the hustle and bustle, there is one handy-dandy device that has the capability to keep our lives in check – our phones! Whether you have an iPhone, Android, or another model, today’s cell phones can do a lot more than call home every once in a while.

Why not take advantage of your extra gigabytes and make your life a little bit easier by downloading these free apps?

Notre Dame Mobile

Every Notre Dame student should have this irreplaceable app on their phone.

It includes several useful features including the daily weather forecast and a campus map. You can also check the menu at the dining halls, request an O’SNAP ride, and check the status of the laundry machines and dryers in your dorm. Even if you’re away from South Bend, you can view the Golden Dome and other sites with the 24-hour webcams installed around campus. Talk about bringing the Notre Dame with you wherever you go, right?

Urbanspoon

As much as we love our dining halls, sometimes it’s exciting to step out of the Notre Dame bubble.

This app is for any passionate “foodie” who wants to explore Michiana’s restaurant scene and experience a much-needed change from the dining hall experience. You can search for restaurants around the area by the type of cuisine served, price range, or based on what’s closest to your location. With its random selection feature, you can discover a new restaurant with a shake of your phone – perfect for those times when no one can decide what they’re in the mood to eat! Urbanspoon also includes customer reviews of restaurants as well as their addresses, phone numbers, and menus. Whether you’re in the mood for sushi, Thai, or a good burger, this app will help you find the perfect restaurant for you.

Wi-Fi Finder

Unfortunately, not everyone has unlimited data plans, and the feeling of finding free Wi-Fi is sometimes indescribable. This app searches for Wi-Fi hotspots near you – both free and not – and gives you the location’s phone number and address as well as directions on how to get there. You can also search for locations based on the type of establishment, like a café or hotel. You – and your cell phone bill – will be happy you downloaded this app.

Map My Run

Not only does this app track how far you go on your daily (or not-so-daily) runs, it also allows you to log non-running workouts such as bicycling, hiking, lap swimming, or walking. By entering your personal information (height, weight, age, etc.) you can track how many calories you burn in each specific activity. The app also has a feature that allows you to track your food intake for the day. Putting it all together in one easy to use app makes maintaining your healthy lifestyle a breeze! (It also helps me justify the times I satisfy my sweet tooth.) 

Gas Buddy

This app is absolutely essential for weekend road trips with friends. It can feel like gas prices fluctuate every time you blink, and when you’re trying to save some extra dollars, the fluctuation can be very, very annoying. Gas Buddy is awesome because it allows you to find the cheapest gas prices near you or the best deals in another city or area. You also can get lots of perks for singing up for an account. This app is well worth the storage space in your phone.

Period Tracker Lite

Ladies – you need this app. It’s always a good idea to record your “times of the month” to make sure you’re healthy and to plan ahead. I use the “Lite” (a.k.a. free) version, which is a great deal considering you can record PMS symptoms, mood swings, and weight. It takes the data and projects your start and end time for every month so you can always be ready. Girl power, right? (Tip: You could also try the Clue period tracker app.)

Starbucks

As my Her Campus bio proudly states, I am a Starbucks addict.

You can probably guess that this app is a staple on my phone. I could go on for days about how awesome Starbucks’ rewards program is, and one of its huge assets is the mobile app. You can pay using your gift cards right on your phone, refill your account balance, and check stores’ operating hours. It also allows you to send mobile gift cards and receive discounts and other offers right to your cell. If you’re a caffeine addict like me, this app will make your life much easier.

Papa John’s Pizza

College means a lot of things. Very often, college means late night studying, which also means late night hunger. What’s the perfect late night (or anytime) food? Pizza of course! Papa John’s is a personal favorite of mine not only because their pizzas are so darn delicious but also because they have a campus delivery option, meaning they deliver right to your dorm! You can browse the entire menu, order right from your phone, and save your favorites for an even quicker, easier experience. You can direct any leftovers to me. 

VSCO Cam®

Instagram’s filters are getting a little passé, don’t you think? Whether or not you agree, VSCO Cam is a great photo-editing app that you should download ASAP. It comes with broad range of editing tools and filters to spruce up your already amazing photos. The app lets you upload updated pictures straight to several social media platforms or simply right to your phone. #NoFilter … or not.

Bitmoji Keyboard

Possibly the most entertaining app I have on my phone, Bitmoji is the next step in your Emoji obsession. Haven’t you ever wanted to send personalized Emoji’s to friends and family? No? Well, now you do.

You can create your own avatar and browse through the app’s extensive library of stickers. If you have iOS 8 you can add the Bitmoji keyboard right to your normal keyboard for easy access. There’s a Bitmoji for every occasion, so spice up your texting conversation with a Bitmoji or two. 

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Hey, I'm Claire! I'm a sophomore at Notre Dame majoring in psychology with minors in journalism and business economics. I'm from Peoria, Illinois (no, it's actually not a suburb of Chicago!) and if you know where that is, we're probably going to become best friends. I'm a self-proclaimed Starbucks addict, social media connoisseur, and a proud advocate of the (not so) occasional Netflix binge. I'm a proud Breen-Phillips Babe and so #blessed to be a part of the Notre Dame community. Go Irish!