Style > Beauty

Beauty on a Budget: My First Beauty Box Subscription

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I’ve always enjoyed shopping for and putting on makeup, and my love of beauty products and their application only grew in college. I consume a lot of beauty media which has resulted in having a beauty wish list a mile long. Like most college students, I can’t afford to test out all the products on my wish list. I’m constantly searching for cheaper alternatives to trendy products as well as drugstore staples to permanently incorporate into my routine. 

I spent some time sifting through information on some of the most popular beauty box subscriptions out there: IPSY, Birchbox, Boxycharm, Sephora Play and a few others. I evaluated each subscription based on price, product assortment, product sizes and reviews. I eliminated Boxycharm quickly because its $25 per month price tag was too high for my budget. At $10, $12 and $15 dollars monthly, Sephora Play, IPSY and Birchbox respectively were at a much more comfortable price point for me. 

I ultimately decided on IPSY for many reasons. IPSY has three tiers of subscription: Glam Bag, Glam Bag Plus and Glam Bag Ultimate. The higher tiers increase in monthly price, number of products and product size. I chose the base Glam Bag subscription which includes five products, a mix of full size and sample size products and a cute makeup bag. The variety of products you receive is based on a quiz you take when you sign up, and shipping is free on all Glam Bags. I already own a lot of makeup, so I like that I get to try out many different products without having to commit to a full size. Another major draw was that the base Glam Bag did not have a waitlist, where many others did.

I’ve received two Glam Bags so far, and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the process as well as discovered many additional fun perks of this particular subscription. I review each product I receive through my account so that IPSY can continue personalizing my bags and so other Ipsters can see products if they’re shopping on IPSY Shopper. Reviewing products is a lot of fun, and it earns me points in my IPSY account that I will eventually be able to redeem for a free product. Each month I get to choose one product to be included in my next bag. Additionally, if you like a sample you receive in your Glam Bag and choose to order the full size through IPSY, you get a discount! I’ve already received two makeup brushes that I use almost daily, each of which was at or above the price I pay for my entire Glam Bag. 

Another perk is the access to IPSY Shopper. They offer many themed boxes and product sets at discounted prices. Many of them would make great gift sets! I ordered a box of skincare products and samples as a Christmas present and it was hugely successful. I’ve been impressed with the value of my bags and purchases so far, and it’s very exciting awaiting the arrival of my bag each month. Early in the month you can log in to your IPSY account and see the products that will be sent in that month’s Glam Bag. At this point, you can also choose products to add on to your bag for $3 each in case there are additional goodies you’re dying to try. 

I have also dealt with IPSY customer service a few times and have been pleased with those experiences. They respond to inquiries quickly and helpfully, and it’s easy to find their help center via the app or their website. Overall, the subscription has been totally worth my money, significantly reduced my urge to make extraneous beauty purchases and I’ve had a lot of fun! If you’re looking for a way to save some money without giving up your beauty addiction, definitely consider a beauty box subscription.

Image 1, 2 provided by author

Reina Koran

Notre Dame '20

I'm a junior biochemistry major at the University of Notre Dame. I'm currently working on an undergraduate research project in molecular genetics and regeneration, which I'd love to continue studying in graduate school. Another very rewarding activity I participate in is college advising for high achieving low income high school students. Addtionally, I love playing soccer, which I do at the club level for my university, music, movies (quoting and watching them), and I like to draw.