This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Remember when you were in elementary/middle school and you were in the car when it was raining, and you looked out the window, beginning to act like you were in a movie? Or when you were on an airplane and you gazed out the window at the cotton candy sunset and bouncy clouds, pretending you were an actress in a movie on her way to a new adventure? You still don’t relate yet? Okay, but what about when you are in high school, driving down the highway with the windows down and a car full of friends and you do that wave thing with your hand that makes it seem like you are in a music video? 

bored woman looking out the window
Photo by Joshua Rawson-Harris from Unsplash

While mimicking the main character of a movie, or the star of a music video, can be very fun, why don’t we discuss how to actually become the main character of your own life? Don’t worry, you can still dramatically look out the rainy window and act like you just broke up with your significant other, or vibe with your friends in the car and do whatever hand motions make it seem like you are driving on the coast of California, but let’s make it real and let’s make it your life. 

To be the main character of your life, you must step up! Take control of your life. No one else can make decisions for you, because they do not know what is best for you. Reality check: you are the one living this life, so do what is best for you. It is great to get advice from friends and family, but at some point you have to understand that it is your life, and you have to make it the best version for yourself. In other words, make your life the plot of an Academy award winning coming-of-age movie that everyone dreams of living. 

assorted movies on bookshelf
Photo by Lucas Pezeta from Pexels

Now, this will involve something that can be scary to some people (people meaning me): confidence. I find myself being very hard on myself, so much so that I do not give myself any credit for anything! I will continuously find a way to talk down to myself and this is doing nothing to help me be the main character. Instead, appreciate that you are doing your best. Give yourself a pat on the back for getting out of bed. You got dressed today instead of wearing the same sweats that you have been wearing for the past week? YOU ARE DOING AMAZING, SWEETIE. Basically, just hype yourself up in any way that you can in order to build your confidence. 

Also, you need to stop comparing yourself to everyone else! It may seem like someone is doing better than you, or has their life together, but that person did not have to grow up how you did, or fight the battles that you have had to fight, or deal with any of the struggles that you deal with on a daily basis. You can’t compare apples and oranges. That person you compare yourself to is in the falling action of their movie, when issues begin to resolve and things start to work out, while you are currently in the rising action of your movie. The best has yet to come. 

Once you find yourself, and your confidence, you will realize that there are no excuses. Take hold of your life and pursue your goals! Manifest getting that good grade on your essay. Spend $43 on GrubHub for Steak ‘n Shake milkshakes. Ask that special person out! This movie that is your life can only be shot in one take, so let’s do it right. 

Holly O'Brien

Notre Dame '23

Hi, I’m Holly! I am a Sophomore at the University of Notre Dame studying Science-Business, as well as Film, Television, and Theatre. Born and raised in South Jersey, I spend my summers down the shore and get to enjoy the close proximity to Philly year-round. I consider myself a movie fanatic, but also enjoy spending time with friends and family.