Battle of the Drugstore Liquid Lipsticks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I’ve been in search of a good drugstore liquid lipstick that’s more convenient than online shopping and cheaper than the luxury brands. So, after scouring the makeup community for suggestions, I found the following lipsticks and decided to put them to the test.

The stipulations:

• I must wear it for 12 hours with no touch-ups

• I have to eat with the lipstick on

• I have to drink coffee (oh, the shame) and see if it transfers

All prices are from Ulta.com. (Also, ignore my frown in some of the after photos – long days of class can do that to a person.)

NYX Lingerie in Ruffle Trim ($6.99)

Surprisingly, this went on silky smooth (probably why it’s called Lingerie), and the color stayed on for quite a while. Even when it felt like my lips were a disaster, they weren’t too bad – it was just the color that had faded. The texture did get a bit weird throughout the day, as if the formula had clumped together.

Coffee Test: B+ (Bit of transfer, but nothing too drastic.)

Food Test: B (Comfortable while eating, but had to watch how I ate to avoid digesting my entire lipstick.)

Overall: 7/10 – Would Recommend

Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor in Kisses ($9.49)

Honestly, I was dreading this day. I had worn it before for thirty minutes or so (I wasn’t a big fan then), and it translated when I wore it for the day. When you put it on, it transfers on everything. Look at my poor coffee mug! Aesthetically pleasing – maybe. Good for long-wear lipstick – not so much.

I decided to blot off the top layer to avoid getting my lipstick on everything – and the pigment went away a little bit, but not too much. It stayed for about twenty minutes before fading. I got back from class literally four hours after I had put it on and it was faded to the point where it looked like I wasn’t wearing lipstick at all – utterly failing the 12 hour test (It also failed the 5 hour test). It also makes me sad this one was the most expensive. At least the formula smells good?

Don’t be fooled by the after smile – I’m smiling through the disappointment

Coffee Test: F (is there a rating worse than failing?)

Food Test: N/A (It had faded too much by then.)

Overall: 2/10 (2 points just because the formula smells good.)

Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquid in Red Punch ($7.99)

This lipstick was…a little less than okay. Don’t get me wrong – the pigment was amazing, it felt like velvet, the formula seemed pretty good – but there are just some things that really annoy me about lipsticks, and this one checked a lot of the boxes. It transferred to anything with ease, it started to feather around my lips, and it felt like there was always a cream on my lips that never dried. The only way I would wear this again would be to a formal event where I wasn’t eating or drinking, and I would definitely use lip liner to avoid the feathering. Other than that, I wouldn’t recommend for long-wear lipstick.

Coffee Test: D+ (If you blot it.)

Food Test: F

Overall: 3.5/10

Rimmel London Provocalips 16-hour Kissproof Lipstick in Wish Upon A Berry ($6.99)

I’d like to thank Her Campus for showing me the light that is this beautiful lipstick. We were sent these little beauties and I may dare to say it was the best experience I’ve had with a lipstick. It stayed on all day, the color barely faded (if it faded at all), and I forgot that I was wearing it half the time. I even ate pizza without it having a problem. It passed the pizza test, do you know how huge that was for me?

I am definitely going to get more colors of this lipstick.

Coffee Test: A- (Little specks, nothing too drastic.)

Food Test: A

Overall: 9.5/10

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

All images provided by the author

Shelly Hank

Notre Dame '19

Shelly (Noun) (pronounced shell-ee) Definition: Notre Dame Grad #LyonsLove, Cat Lady, Hockey Enthusiast, and Taylor Swift disciple.