Basketball Babe Kathryn Wesbeld, ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Meet Kathryn Wesbeld! You could never tell if you just met her, but this girl is a national celebrity! She was an All-American basketball player in high school and is one of three freshmen on the Notre Dame Women’s Basketball team. If you haven’t started following her by now, you should start today. Kathryn’s so much more than basketball though. Read more about this rising star!

Hometown?

Kettering, OH

Major?

Business – undecided which major though.

Why did you decide to come to Notre Dame?

I was sold on, “It’s not a 4 year decision, but a 40 year decision.” Basketball is a big part of my life, but not my whole life, and I knew a Notre Dame education would put me in a good position after my basketball days are over. I also wanted to reach my full potential as a player and what better way could I do that than be coached by the best.

What’s your favorite thing about Notre Dame?

I love when even though the weather is bad and gloomy sometimes, the Dome still continues to shine.

What do you want to do after graduation?

Take a nice long vacation with my friends – hopefully continue playing basketball overseas.

How long have you been playing basketball?

Since I was in the first grade, so about 13 years.

Do you have any pregame rituals?

As a team, we listen to our team song – me personally, eat the same protein bar and Gatorade before warmups.

What’s the hardest thing about being on the basketball team?

Time management. A lot of times when you are not playing basketball or in class you want to sleep, but you have to find time to still get your work done.

Who is the most influential person in your life?

My parents – I know I can go to them for anything!

What has helped you deal with the stress of being a varsity athlete?

Family and friends from back home; FaceTime, phone calls, even encouraging texts here and there is really reassuring. Care packages are always fun, too!

What do you want people to remember you for?

Someone who works hard to accomplish her goals and is kind to everyone.

What’s your favorite quote?

“If you’re looking for that one person to change your life, take a look in the mirror.”

Favorite movie?

I love so many movies, I don’t think I could pick just one.

Fun fact:

I enjoy doing some type of art in my spare time.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love.

Images courtesy of Kathryn Westbeld 

Caitie McAuliffe is a sophomore at the University of Notre Dame and is majoring in the Program of Liberal Studies and Economics. She is from Durham, Connecticut and lives in PW while at Notre Dame.