element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

Badin’s Beauty: Gaby Mezzacappa ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Everyone meet Gaby Mezzacappa!! She is an awesome sophomore from Bronxville, NY. Gaby is in Mendoza College of Business, and she has a DOUBLE minor in Chinese and Italian. She is a regular foreign language princess! Gaby plays on the Women’s Club Soccer Team, as well as a plethora of intramural sports. She is an amazing athlete, student, friend and person! Gaby is definitely on the nice list this year!

Why did you choose Notre Dame?

In all honesty, I don’t have one concrete reason to point to. I never thought I would go to Notre Dame, and just applied on a whim. After I found out that I had gotten in, I visited in January of my senior year of high school during a blizzard on the coldest weekend of the year. I took a very long time to consider all the pros and cons of ND as well as other schools and I didn’t make my decision until the week before the deadline, but I feel like the fact that I kept coming back to Notre Dame in my mind means I made the right decision. And knowing what I know now, I couldn’t have made a more perfect choice.

What is your favorite class this year?

Chinese forever and always. It can be hard at times, but speaking Chinese with my 中文朋友们和老师们 is one of my favorite things, and I look forward to going to class every day. Our class has become a like a little family and I’m very grateful for that. 好好玩儿。

Why did you choose to minor in Chinese? 

See above.

What are you thinking for your business major?

Right now I’m leaning towards marketing. I like learning about a lot of different things, and I always say that if I could major in 10 different subjects it still wouldn’t be enough (just kidding mom, I’ll graduate in 4 years (probably)). I feel that marketing does a good job of marrying a lot of my different interests into one curriculum.

What is your favorite intramural sport? 

Last year, my friend Hayley invited me to play on her co-rec basketball team, and although I wasn’t too shabby in my day (check out my highlight reel at https://linkedin.com), I was hesitant to join. It turned out to be the best thing I did all of freshmen year, and now my teammates (shoutout to Space Jam) are some of my best friends at ND. We’re slowly taking over the Notre Dame co-rec scene, expanding into other sports such as sand volleyball and wiffle ball, and ESPN8 The Ocho predicts that we’ll hold at least one RecSports championship in every single co-rec sport on campus by graduation. #getsome

Who’s the real MVP on your intramural basketball team? 

Impossible to choose just one, but the fact that girls get 3 points for a 2-point shot and 4 points for a 3-point shot in this league makes our talented ladies even more deadly. Also, Steve Burke for keeping the team well-fed; couldn’t perform without his unparalleled homemade meals.

What’s the best place to study on campus?

This changes depending on how focused or social you need to be. If we’re talking solitary confinement, day-before-accounting-exam-and-the-plastic-wrap-is-still-on-the-textbook status, then I love the basement of Mendoza. It’s a really cool environment with art and famous front pages of news throughout history hanging on the walls, sliding floor-to-ceiling whiteboards, and  tables that can be moved and pieced together like a puzzle. But if it’s a five-minutes-before-a-Chinese-quiz-and-all-hope-is-lost kind of day, I prefer to commiserate with my classmates in the CSLC on the 3rd floor of DeBartolo. There are always people speaking a million different languages in there and it makes me feel super worldly and also a little confused at the same time.

What’s your best tip to studying for finals?

Study in the Snite! Last year during reading days, the Snite Museum on campus was turned into a place for students to study among the galleries. It was so peaceful, and a nice change of scenery as well. But don’t go crazy during finals either–do something physical to give your brain a break, and keep the Netflix & Chill-to-studying ratio at a consistent 2:1.

What are you most excited for this holiday season?

Christmas in New York! *queue “New York City Christmas” by Rob Thomas.* I love everything about the holiday season in NY and have come to appreciate it even more since being away.

What’s your favorite Christmas jam?

“White Christmas,” Michael Buble and Shania Twain duet. My brother and I start playing this song right around Halloween and don’t stop until well after New Years.

What is your favorite Holiday tradition? 

I come from a big Italian family, so on Christmas Eve, the Feast of the Seven Fishes is non-negotiable. My favorite tradition is waking up at the crack of dawn on Christmas Eve morning and going to Arthur Avenue with my parents, brother, cousins, grandparents, and a multitude of friends that have tagged along throughout the years to buy the all the different types of fresh fish that will be served that night, as well as lots of bread, pastries, and everything else that is good in the world. Once we’re done shopping, we relax and sip cappuccinos until we’ve sufficiently thawed out and it’s time to go home and start cooking.

What’s on the top of your Christmas List?

A higher Mendoza curve, more flex points, and world peace.

Thanks Gaby, hopefully Santa puts in a good word on those flex points! 

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images provided by interviewee

Hannah Dunn

Notre Dame

Hannah Dunn is a sophomore Marketing and Film, Television and Theater major at ND. Born and raised in Westchester, NY, Hannah loves to lax it up with the Women's Club Lacrosse Team, but is never opposed to a Netflix and chill. If you need a good Ben and Jerry's ice cream recommendation be sure to ask her.