Appreciating Your SMCs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

SMCs are absolutely phenomenal! Everything, from the campus to the people themselves, is wonderfully different from Notre Dame and yet similar enough to bond over *cough cough football*.

I am a Notre Dame student who has been embraced and accepted as an honorary St. Mary’s student because of my minor in Social Work. As a woman on campus I don’t really stand out over there, and most probably wouldn’t realize I wasn’t a Belle except for my continuous stream of questions like “who the heck is Sophia and why is she so important to all of our classes?”

The funny thing though is it works the same way turned around. Sure we all know of the totally brilliant St Mary’s girls in the chemistry dual degree program, who really are #goals on being overachievers and hard workers (If you don’t know one you should go and meet one, seriously they’re really cool.) And sure we’ve all seen the SMCs at senior game stepping forward in the cheerleading squad or the band to sing the St. Mary’s alma mater. But were you really aware of how many there really are all around you? There are awesome ladies who bike, walk, or ride over the 0.9 miles up the Ave to Notre Dame campus weekly, and for some daily. You’ve seen these wonderful students in your favorite clubs, activities, classes and go to hang out spots.

For me it wasn’t until this year, that I realized how many St. Mary’s students I actually ran into daily on Notre Dame’s campus until I had seen them on both campuses. In particular I have benefited from having St. Mary’s students in my Peace Studies classes.

The women are fantastic, but the campus itself is also pretty cool. I really want to take a campus tour and haven’t done so yet. That being said, just as a casual student observer there are some awesome places and things to see at St. Mary’s. As of last week, there is a new tree on the campus that signifies the unity of Notre Dame, Holy Cross, and St. Mary’s. Second, you NEED to see their church. Sure I’m a Catholic, and so obviously have my own biases to churches, but in all seriousness you have to go and visit. It is small as far as seating when compared to the basilica but absolutely stunning on the inside. It’s kind of like a giant cone and so the ceilings seem to go on forever and are beautifully decorated. While you’re at the church, swing by the House of Our Lady. A small chapel area that is cozy and warm. Apparently it used to be THE place to get proposed to, much like the Grotto is now. Nowadays it’s a quiet place to reflect and just be, and is very peaceful. While you’re on that side of campus you should also take a moment to go through the labyrinth. A little stone path set amongst the grass, its twists and turns are both planned and a little bewildering. Also, be sure to check out the enormous windchime in the tree to its right. Beautiful sounds and beautiful place.

Finally, if you ever have a chance to talk to the faculty, administration, or any of the sisters while over at St. Mary’s, do so. From the ones I’ve met so far, they’re very approachable and down to earth. Personally my theory is that it’s due to the fact that their “Main building” is also a dorm, and so students and administration interact on the regular. Similar to the HC priests, the sisters are often funny and witty and just great people to get to chat to.

I could go on for hours about the many wonderful things St. Mary’s offers not only to its students but to the Notre Dame community at large. All you really need to know is that there’s more to Notre Dame than just our campus, and there’s a lot St. Mary’s offers that, frankly, we’re missing out on.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 234, 5, 6, 7

Down in El Paso there lived a little girl who dreamed of the snow. She got to ND and now dreams of the sun.