The AIC Presents: Van Gogh’s Bedrooms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

May 10 will be the last day of the Van Gogh’s Bedrooms exhibit at the Art Institute of Chicago. This special exhibition, held solely at the Art Institute, is the first of its kind in North America, bringing together Van Gogh’s three versions of The Bedroom for a limited time.

The exhibition delves into the history and meaning of The Bedroom paintings, which represent Van Gogh’s personal bedroom in Arles, France—arguably his only true home. When the preservation of the original, 1888 composition was doubtful due to possible water damage, Van Gogh chose to paint a second version of The Bedroom while residing in an asylum in 1889. Shortly after this composition, Van Gogh painted an additional version of the work as a gift for his mother and sister. In uniting the three paintings, the exhibition hopes to realize the overall genius of Van Gogh’s painting in conjunction with the unique qualities of the individual works.

Attendants of the exhibition are encouraged to explore the tragic life of Van Gogh and the various works created by his genius. The preliminary room of the exhibit is dark and ominous, foreshadowing the depth of Van Gogh’s psychosis. The nomadic lifestyle of the artist is then chronicled in a large-scale timeline that encompasses three entire walls of the exhibit. However, viewers may find the long and slow-moving line leading up to the timeline a bit off-putting.

Those who are unwilling to wait for the timeline are welcome to move on to a number of rooms displaying the many works of Van Gogh. These works include paintings, drawings, and illustrated letters attributed to Van Gogh, as well as books that are said to have been in his possession. The variety of artwork within the exhibition illustrates the evolution of Van Gogh as an artist, as well as an individual. Though the tragedy of his life is outlined explicitly in the timeline, it is revealed implicitly in the artwork itself.

The Bedroom paintings are, of course, the culmination of the exhibit. The three nearly identical works are displayed side by side on the final wall of the exhibit, surrounded by a storm of flashing cameras. It is difficult to ignore the fact that many of the individuals taking part in this historic event are seeing it solely through the lens of a camera, (or even more likely, an iPhone). However, in order to experience the purity of the work and the raw genius that is Van Gogh, it is necessary to use your God-given eyes. The camera cannot completely capture the flow of the brush strokes, nor the texture of the canvas.

Van Gogh’s Bedrooms exhibition gives viewers the unique opportunity to experience the complete life and works of Van Gogh through the lens of his presumably most personal paintings. I highly recommend attending this historic event and allowing yourself to view the artwork for the sake of the experience, rather than for the sake of a picture.

The special exhibition is only an additional $5 charge to the Art Institute of Chicago’s $19 student fee.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images 1, 2, 3, 4

Source 1

Erin Rose Howard is a sophomore Business and English major at the University of Notre Dame. Hailing from the beautiful state of New Mexico, you can find her around campus attempting to bring some of her NM sunshine to ND. She is a strong promoter of the four main food groups: coffee, Diet Coke, chocolate, and pizza. Erin Rose's interests include: food, fashion, family, and friends. You can find the rarely updated story of her life on Instagram @erin_rose_howard or on Twitter @erhoward96.