Across the Pond: Study Abroad Celebrity Ellen Roof ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Introducing Ellen Roof! The terrific townie traded her beloved Granger for something a little more flashy – London, England! When she’s not bustling from Paris to Copenhagen on the weekends, Ellen is crashing in her flat with 11(!) other ND ladies centrally located in London-town. This girl has truly been making the most of her time abroad and we at Her Campus ND were lucky enough to catch her with some down time (read: while procrastinating on the internet). Here’s what this Irish beauty had to say about herself, Notre Dame, and her European adventure! 

About Ellen!

Name: Ellen Roof        

Year: Junior

Hometown: Granger, IN

Dorm: Pangborn

Major: Marketing & Psychology

Abroad Program: London, Spring semester

NDH/SDH: NDH

Campus Activities: University Relations intern, SUB

If you could go back to freshman year and tell yourself one thing you know now, what would it be?

Relax—everything works out in the end.

What is the #1 item on your ND bucket list?

Selfie with Father Jenkins.

What is your best ND memory so far?

Any and all of the football games.

What is the most played song on your iPod right now?

Am I supposed to be over the whole playing-Timber-on-repeat thing yet?

What is a little known fact about you?

I have very unique stitches.

Who is your celebrity crush?              

John Krasinski

What three words would you use to describe yourself?

Awkward & subjectively funny

What’s your favorite movie quote?

“You go, Glenn Coco.”

(But actually the entirety of Mean Girls)

On London

What is your favorite part about studying abroad so far? 

Studying abroad is a unique opportunity to make new friends. By junior year most people seem pretty set in their friend group. I’ve loved mixing it up and meeting some awesome new people!

What is your go-to London study spot?

There are plenty of coffee shops with the perfect atmosphere for studying.

Where have you had the best “going out” experience?

Copenhagen, Denmark. A friend and I may or may not have crashed (and arguably became the stars of) an office work party.

What has been your best trip so far?

While every European city seems to steal a piece of my heart, I’ll have to go with Copenhagen. In addition to the awesome night life, Copenhagen had the nicest people, most delicious food, and incredibly colorful homes! I traveled with three great girls and we had a blast renting bikes, visiting palaces, and enjoying the city.

Three essential travel accessories (e.g. clothes, books, electronics)?

You can do all things with an iPhone and Wi-Fi.   

How have you changed since you’ve been abroad? 

My FOMO has lessened and I’ve almost fully adopted the typical all-black-everything London wardrobe. 

What’s the weirdest thing that has happened to you while abroad?

One time I was running by Buckingham Palace and completely wiped out in front of this cute German couple, who proceeded to try to comfort me in German.

Best food you’ve had and where?

My world has been changed for the better ever since I tasted the rose petal macaroon from Ladurée in Paris.

What do you miss most about Notre Dame?

Flex points! Oops, I mean the people.

How do you keep in touch with your family and friends?

iMessage, FaceTime, Viber, and Skype

Why did you choose London spring for your study abroad experience? 

I knew I wanted to intern abroad, and London had so many appealing options! I’m working at BBDO Knows and absolutely loving it. Another perk is that London is pretty central, making it easy to see a lot of Europe on the weekends.

What has the hardest part of living abroad been for you?

The pounds-to-dollars conversion is just painful.

What will you miss most about being abroad when you are back in the States?

All of the amazing street food! London has so many markets with diverse lunch, dinner, and dessert options.

What do you wish you could change about the London program?

It would be nice if the program were a bit smaller. It’s easy to fall into a rut and just hang out with the 140 or so Notre Dame kids while you’re here. I’m pretty sure the first week we exclusively went out in groups of at least 40 people—great way to blend in, am I right??

Describe your perfect day in London!

Following a morning run through Hyde Park, head to Borough Market for a tasty lunch and some people-watching. Stop in to meander one of the many free museums in London, and then meet up with friends for high tea at the Wolseley Hotel. Go to Oxford Street to shop (read: window shop) before heading to happy hour at Foundation Bar.  Finish the evening with a musical or ballet.  

Would you recommend this program to a friend?

Does Ke$ha like glitter? Of course I would—best decision of my life.

Tips for those considering study abroad?

DO IT.

Thanks, Ellen! You’re a gem!

HCNDxo

To learn more about study abroad locations, follow HCND on Twitter and like us on Facebook

Pictures provided by interviewee 

Sara Spitt

Notre Dame

Meet HCND's current Campus Coordinator and Editor-in-Chief! Originally from outside of Chicago, Sara is a Senior Peace Studies, Theology, and Italian major at Notre Dame (yes, that is three majors; no, she doesn't have any free time). When she isn't painting her nails, Sara enjoys cooking vegetarian friendly dishes, taking pictures for The Dome yearbook, and reading for fun. Sara began writing for Her Campus Notre Dame in May of 2013 and quickly fell in love with the site and it's staff! After writing for the inagural editorial staff (shout-out to AnnaLee, Katie, and Lex!) for a semester, Sara decided to branch out and become an editor. She particularly enjoys doing interviews and sharing travel expereinces, as well as connecting with the HCND reader network through thought-provoking social commentaries. If you like what you read from her on a weekly basis, this self-proclaimed "Queen of Social Media" has several accounts for you to follow - twitter, instagram (@saraspit22), tumblr, and a blog!