8 Things to Do When Visiting the Notre Dame London Global Gateway

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

This summer I got to be apart of the first ever pre-college Notre Dame study abroad program. This program is specifically for Notre Dame freshmen to take a University Seminar course abroad before they even get on campus. I took the Historical Fashion in the Arts class while there. Here is a list of things to do if you get the chance to travel abroad with Notre Dame to London!

1.  Eat Tons of Gelato

I personally believe that this is the most obvious part of this list! The best Gelato can not be found at chains but at small local stores that you can only find at one street corner. Gelato anywhere in Europe is something that needs to be consumed. Every. Single. Day. As much as possible.

2.  Make Friends on the Tube

Tube rides are hot, sweaty, stinky and gross. Making friends on the tube can make this less of a problem. If you are lucky, someone will spike a conversation up with you but if you have the guts take the initiative and learn more about the people of this city! Your Oyster Card will be your new best friend.

3.  Walk Everywhere

Walking everywhere in London is the best way to combat #1 in this list. You will also get to see the city every day. Not only all of this but walking is completely free! When you are on the college study abroad budget free transportation is the best way to go about things. And you get to take pictures on your way to class.

4.  Get on the London Eye

The London Eye is known to be a hassle and a crowded tourist attraction. It is both of those things. However, you can see the entire city of London from up there which is super cool and something that you should attempt to do at least once before you leave. The best part? You will be saying “I can see my house from here”. Our very own global gateway, Conway Hall is visible from the London Eye, so be sure to look out for it!

5.  Have Afternoon Tea in Bath

Bath, England is the home of Jane Austen and the Ancient Romans. Having tea there is a magical experience. Not only will it be the best tea you will ever have, but everyone is dressed in the clothing of that time period so it feels like you are living in it. If you dream of having tea with Mr. Darcy himself, this is the place to do so.

6.  Make Friends with your Roommates

Upon arriving to London you will be immediately put into a two-bedroom apartment with 7-8 strangers who you most likely will not know at all. Staying up late and getting to know them is an essential bonding experience. It’s also a great way to make friends so that when you return to campus you know a few more people than before.

7.  Ditch Starbucks

Starbucks is in the UK is not the same as it is in America. In the UK they have a different menu and different snacks and drinks along the wall. Basically, if you are studying abroad in London, head over to Pret A Manger. It’s just like Starbucks except everything is fresh and it tastes much better. The only benefit of going to Starbucks is that all of those gift cards you got for your birthday work in any country. However, someone needs to install a Pret at the South Bend campus.

8.  Take Basic Tourist Photos

You may look stupid taking them but basic tourist photos are something you can’t go home without. From pretending you are holding Big Ben, to just looking dumb in front of Big Ben you can’t go wrong with taking them and you will love looking at them when you are older.

Overall, the trip to London was definitely successfull and educational. Going to college before freshmen year technically starts is a great way to ease your way into the experience and it was extremely benificial to me. So if you’re off to the UK next semester, be sure to refer to this article for some fun things to do!

The HCND application is now open! For more information contact Rebecca Rogalski at rebeccarogalski@hercampus.comor Katrina Linden at katrinalinden@hercampus.com

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us, and show our Instagram some love!

Images 2,3,4,6,8 provided by author

Images 15 ,7

Sierra Mayhew is a rising freshman at the University of Notre Dame studying Film, Television and Theatre (concentration in Television) with a minor in Journalism. She is a guitarist and music enthusiast.  Follow her on instagram @sierra_mayhew.