7 Things You Must Do While Studying Abroad in London

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Studying abroad in a city like London can be extremely overwhelming, especially when it comes to deciding how to spend your time. After spending six weeks in London, I still have not seen Buckingham Palace or gone to the infamous ball pit bar. Even if you were to live in London for the rest of your life, there would always be more to discover. From someone who has tried to make the most of six short weeks in London, here are a few of my favorite activities.

Visit Seven Sisters

Ever heard of the White Cliffs of Dover? Well, Seven Sisters is just as breathtakingly beautiful, minus all of the tourists. If you are anything like me and love a good adventure, I would recommend taking a train into Seaford and hiking along the Sisters. Keep in mind this means walking through a (shallow) river! Once you get to Birling Gap, stop to take in the view and reward yourself with some tea and cake at the cafe.

Do Your Homework in London’s Most Instagram-Worthy Cafes

One thing that everyone who studies abroad seems to forget is that there is still homework, reports and exams. In order to make the most of your time in another country, why not spend your time studying in a cute cafe with great food? One of my favorite cafes in London was EL&N cafe, which had the perfect instagram-worthy backdrops.

Go to as Many Concerts and Festivals as Possible

Take advantage of London’s prime location and see as many musicians as possible! I went to see Travis Scott at the O2 and Bastille at Citadel Festival, which were some of the best concerts I’ve seen.

Dress Up and Go to High Tea with Your Girl Friends

This has to be one of my favorite things I did in London. Although the price is steep for a college student, you must go to high tea at least once. Not only is it an excuse to dress up and catch up with your friends, but it is also a cultural experience! I went to The London Landmarks High Tea at The Kensington Hotel, where they had food and decor shaped like London’s most notable features.

Go to a Few Shows

Even if you are not a theater nerd (I’m certainly not) you should not miss out on the performances in the Theatre District. For a reasonable price, you can get great seats to see a musical, play, or show at Shakespeare’s Globe! Two of my favorites were “Wicked” and “Come From Away.”

Buy Your Souvenirs at Camden Market

Although “I heart London” shirts and mugs are nice, I like to bring home a piece of my travels to my friends and family. Camden Market, aside from being a great spot for foodies, was my favorite place to get cheap souvenirs. Plenty of shops sell handmade jewelry, antique clothing and other unique gifts from soap shaped like cupcakes to batman masks.

Travel on the Weekends!

Ironically, one of my favorite things about being in London was how easy it was to leave! Whether it be by train or plane, traveling to completely different countries for a reasonable price is doable if you plan early enough. My suggestion would be to look at flights and Airbnbs as soon as you know the dates you will be abroad. Some of my favorite places to travel were Ibiza, Amsterdam and Sicily.

One last suggestion I will make is to download the 1 Second Everyday (1SE) app before you leave and take a 1-second video of the highlight of your day, every day. At the end of your trip, compile all of your videos within the app and add some music in the background. This became my way of documenting my travels, rather than spending hours journaling, scrapbooking, or blogging. Not only was this a great souvenir to show my friends and family, but it also acted as motivation to take advantage of my location and do at least one notable activity (other than studying) each day.

Regardless of how you spend your time abroad, cherish the unique friendships you will make and enjoy every adventure (even if it is missing your flight and sleeping in an airport!).

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Jessi Dirksen

Notre Dame '21

I am a junior at Notre Dame majoring in chemical engineering and living in Lewis Hall. I am involved in Lewis Hall Council, Society of Women Engineers, the ND Club of Rochester, and I work at the new Duncan Student Center. I love TV shows like Game of Thrones, The Bachelor, and Big Brother. In my spare time, I like to practice yoga and read outside.