7 Survival Tips for This Year’s Thanksgiving Gathering

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Thanksgiving, talk about a love-hate relationship! We love that it’s the one day a year we can justify eating an ungodly amount of food without judgment. We love that we get to spend quality time with our family members. We hate that we are often cornered into disclosing too much personal information we don’t really feel comfortable sharing. We hate the awkward silences and forced conversations we sometimes have with relatives we don’t know all that well. Regardless of the negative experiences, it’s a special holiday that most of us look forward to all year. For that reason, here are seven survival tips for this year’s Thanksgiving:

Put a game on

If the conversation begins to get awkward, inconspicuously turn a sports game on. Nothing brings people together like football and pre-Thanksgiving feast appetizers. This gives you the opportunity to not only defer the conversation from your personal life, but to find new common ground with your relatives.

Dress for yourself

No matter what you wear to Thanksgiving, someone will always comment on what you should have worn instead—something warmer, something more formal, something less revealing. Therefore, for the sake of your sanity, wear whatever you feel comfortable and confident in.

Don’t wear a belt

On a similar note, do yourself a favor and do not wear a belt. Thanksgiving is synonymous with food coma. You don’t want to have to hold back from all the turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes just because of a restrictive accessory!

Ask questions

People love to talk about themselves, their interests and their accomplishments. Therefore, asking questions is the perfect way to not only defer conversation from your personal life if you wish, but to get to know your relatives a little bit better. This is so important—especially with that one aunt or uncle you may not see very often, but who might have some great stories or life advice to offer. 

Rehearse answers to your family’s inevitable questions about life

Sometimes, it will be impossible to avoid answering some uncomfortable questions about yourself, such as “Why don’t you have a boyfriend yet?” or “What are your plans after graduation?” or “How often are you calling your parents at school?” For this reason, think of some typical questions you might get asked and come up with good responses beforehand. This way, you aren’t put on the spot to formulate an appropriate answer that will not reveal too much information, but will provide enough details to satisfy their curiosity.

Steer away from politics. Always.

It goes without saying that talking about politics in any social setting is often a bad idea as it ends in heated arguments and disagreements. There are plenty of other fruitful conversations that will engage the entire group without causing a divide.

Remember the meaning of the holiday

Despite all of the pros and cons of the holiday, it is important to remember the original meaning and purpose of Thanksgiving. We may find it overwhelming to spend all that time with so many of our relatives, but ultimately they are there and asking those questions because they love and care about us.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Patrizia Manziano

Notre Dame '22

Hey! My name is Patty, and I'm a sophomore Neuroscience and Behavior major at the University of Notre Dame. I am originally from Venezuela, but now call Virginia my home away from the dome. When I'm not mulling over miscellaneous ~brain~ stuff you can find me out for a run, hanging out with friends, or watching Criminal Minds. I am passionate about healthcare, groutfits, and the make-your-own-pizza station in the dining hall.