Career

7 Side Hustles for Broke College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I have always had an underlying love for money: making it, saving it and spending it. But for some reason, being in college has definitely drained my funds, even though I have significantly fewer things to pay for. 

However, college campuses are the perfect market to sell anything. There are a wide variety of students with differing needs and the ability to pay any price. So, being the Mendoza student that I am, I have compiled a list of side hustles that don’t require a ton of time or startup capital:

Sell sport game tickets

There’s a huge market for reselling tickets, especially football tickets, here at Notre Dame. A student ticket package is around $245, meaning each ticket costs $35. So, if you were to sell one ticket for about $50, that’s $15 profit right there and if you were to sell all your tickets for $50 each, you’ll make $105 in profit. But the great part about it is that you can easily sell more popular games, such as the USC game, for almost $200 as some of my friends have. If you aren’t a huge football fan or can’t make it to a game, ask around if anyone is interested in buying and more than likely you’ll find someone who is.

Do hair, eyebrows and/or nails

For most students, we’re far from home and can’t get to our favorite person to do our hair, eyebrows or nails. But any of those tasks can also be done by college students. With some practice and a couple of hours on YouTube, you could do it for other students on campus. You can charge about $5 for eyebrow threading which requires about $4 for thread and 10 minutes of your time. It’s a quick way to make some pocket money.

Tutor

I and many others have come to the conclusion that college is hard, like really hard. But if you seem to be breezing by in a class and notice that others aren’t as lucky, offer your expertise and knowledge to help them. Most schools, like Notre Dame, offer free tutoring services, but the number of tutors is limited and not all subjects are offered. So if you can find a demand for something you’re good at, go for it.

Sell handmade goods

If you’re good at making a particular craft, or are a talented artist, sell it! College students are always looking for ways to customize their room, spruce up an outfit or just to say that they have something made for them by hand. You can sell portraits or if you’re good at jewelry making, make name necklaces or keychains.

Start a business

This might be a stretch, but if you’re really passionate about something, whether that be a product, cause or service, go ahead and create a legitimate business out of it. It’s more difficult than a side hustle, but if it’s something you really want to do, the extra work will be worth it. But be sure to follow your state’s guidelines and regulations for creating and owning a business.

Charge Lime scooters

This is something I’ve also been interested in doing, but I just never got around to trying it out. Lime, a convenient transportation company, offers on average $3-12 for each scooter you charge. This is an effortless way to make money as it requires very little effort and all you have to do is pick up a scooter, charge it and drop it off at a certain location in an allotted amount of time and get paid. For more information, check out this article.

Sell your unused or old items/clothing

Everyone has something in their room or closet that they’re never going to use or wear, so you might as well make money off of it. Sites like Depop and Poshmark make it easier to reach people all over the world, but if you feel like you could have something of high demand on your campus, start there. You could make a separate Instagram page, or just advertise it on your current page, group chats or Facebook groups.

These are most of the ways I’ve done or have seen others do to make some money. Don’t just try one, but try multiple at once and watch the money start to roll in.

Thaddea Ampadu

Notre Dame '23

I'm Thaddea and I grew up in Columbus, Ohio. I was raised by a not so strict African household that allowed me to explore and to define my relationship with the world for myself. I have a strong sense of culture and love self-expression and it's a lense I tend to look at things through to get a better understanding of why things are the way they are. I also have a Youtube channel I'm trying to become more consistent on so subscribe! youtube.com/user/tdsmile74