7 Aspects of ‘Positive’ Procrastination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

We are now into the home stretch of the semester, where final exams and papers are quickly approaching or may have already begun.  No one is prepared.  Here are seven moments everyone has when they try and procrastinate preparations on final projects, exams, and papers.

1. Wait to start preparing

You have a scheduled few days that will be dedicated to working towards the big assignment for this class. But either you misread the syllabus, or your prof just decided to move the due date of a paper, but you were definitely not aware until maybe a week prior that this was coming up.  And even if you remembered the due date, you have other assignments due, so how could you spare the time for advanced preparation?

2. Preliminary preparation

Whether you spent a ton of hours searching the library database and subsequently wandering the stacks, or you wrote out index cards for an exam without really understanding or knowing what you were writing, you are ready.  Sure, you could have been fine with three sources, and color-coded flashcards doesn’t really help you study, but this was a great idea!

3. Washing All the Dishes

Every last mug you own has been stained with coffee in the last few days, but they really didn’t need to be done now.  But hey, how are you supposed to drink a 10pm cup of coffee to fuel the next four pages of your paper with unclean dishes?

4. Snacks

Again, fuel is super key to productive working time.  So make popcorn in the microwave down the hall, or walk to Reckers because you worked through normal dining hall hours.  But then you have to wait for food, it expands into a several hour break, and then you have an hour left before you need to submit your assignment on Sakai.

5. Twitter

You still have, like, 12 hours before the assignment is due, so why not check in on current events? With a major political news story breaking every three hours, waiting too long can make you hopelessly behind.  Long-term, this has to be more helpful than the ten minutes you weren’t studying. Or twenty. Or thirty…

6. Check in with Friends    

Of course, you need to ask your friends how their day is going, especially if they stop by your room.  You chat about weekend plans, how stressed you all are, and how many pages of that paper you have left to write.  Then five minutes become a few hours, then you have 9 hours before your exam.

7. Sleep

Sure, you have only most of the project done, but it’s 3 am and at this point you are bordering on delirious.  You’ll wake up early and finish the assignment for sure…

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images 1, 2, 3

Julia Erdlen

Notre Dame

I'm a junior living in Ryan Hall. Majoring in English and minoring in Science, Technology, and Values, and Computing and Digital Technologies. I'm from just outside of Philadelphia, and people tend to call out my accent. In the free time I barely have, I'm consuming as much superhero media and as many YA novels as pssible.