The 7 Advantages to Being in a Long Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I’ve been in a long-distance relationship for almost two years now, and I do not think anything could have ever prepared me for how bad it sucks.  You are constantly thinking of the other individual, living from visit to visit, and missing out on holidays and the day-to-day cuddle sessions and spontaneous fast-food trips.  However, there are a significant amount of benefits, both small and large, that can arise from being in a long-distance relationship.

You don’t have to shave.

I am a wooly mammoth when I am apart for my boyfriend?  Why shave?  It’s winter, and nobody is going to look at your legs and armpits except for your roommates (shoutout to my roommates for putting up with me).  I mean you don’t HAVE to shave for you boyfriend.  Certainly if he loved you he wouldn’t care.  But you might enjoy feeling good about yourself around him, and when you aren’t together, there’s no point in going through the effort and trouble. 

Makeup?  You can forget about it.

My face gets a lot of time off from makeup.  If you wake up late one day and don’t have time to put it on before class, you don’t have to worry!  If you want to go simple for the night, you can choose to do so!  Your significant other is not here; he doesn’t have to see your face, so why bother?

Toe nails for days

No cuddling means not cutting your toe nails as often.  You don’t have to worry about slicing their legs apart with your large talons.  Your pedicure can chip until you see them next or until you feel like doing them again.

Girl’s Night Every Night!

Every night can be girl’s night if you want it to be!  You don’t have to worry about going out with your boyfriend and his friends!  You and your girls can blast Bachelorette Party Playlist every Friday night if you’d like.

Save money on date nights

You’re not going out all the time, so when you are together, you can do better things.  Sure, you have to spend money on plane tickets, but that just means new memories are being made in new places!

More quality time spent when you’re together

Since you’ve been apart and had to spend so much money to see each other, the quality time you get is amazing.  I honestly do not think my boyfriend and I would have been able to do as many fun things as we have been able to do if we were together all the time.  You want to make time special and make memories and reignite that spark that is missing when you aren’t together.

Better communication skills developed

Communication is absolutely key in a long-distance relationship.  You spend so much time on the phone that all problems and issues must be worked through.  Without constructive communication, the long distance relationship wouldn’t work.  This will help work through problems in the future when you are together, as you have worked and developed those skills. 

Hope you see the silver lining in your long distance relationship!  If you love someone, no distance or time apart matters!

HCND XO

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images provided by author.