Wellness > Mental Health

6 Soul-Nurturing and Thought-Provoking Podcasts to Brighten your Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Podcasts are an amazing way to consume information efficiently. As college students, finding time for leisurely activities can be very difficult. Thus, podcasts allow us listen to thought-provoking ideas while also working on other tasks. These ideas and discussions can often provide useful tools for overcoming difficult times. I personally listen to podcasts while working out, cleaning my room, walking between classes and/or any other period of down-time. I’ve found that podcasts have had a great positive influence on my life, so here are some of my favorite soul-nurturing podcasts that always give me food for thought, and never fail to brighten my day:

Oprah’s Supersoul Sundays

Oprah’s podcast delves into philosophical and intellectual conversations about what constitutes humans and the soul. It provides listeners with very interesting ideas to ponder, ranging from how to lead a company with compassion to discovering one’s life purpose. Each of her episodes feature very interesting intellectuals who are experts in certain fields and add incredible insight to niche topics. My soul definitely feels enriched after listening to her episodes, and I am always left with tools to better understand myself. 

Thick & Thin

This podcast is produced by a recent college graduate, Katy Belotte, who is living in New York and working at L’Oreal. She first created a presence on YouTube and Instagram, and now she has her own podcast. I find this podcast to be extremely relatable as she discusses the thick and thin moments of life, common struggles that young women face and general thoughts that run through her mind throughout the day. She is extremely honest and candid which allows her episodes to deeply resonate with her audience. I always feel a little less alone after listening to this podcast.

No Limits with Rebecca Jarvis

If you are looking for some career advice from powerful women with great wisdom, this is the podcast for you. Rebecca Jarvis, a seasoned news anchor, interviews successful women who have made it big in the world. She gets them to share their best advice and reflect on their careers and life journeys that have brought them to where they are now. I always feel inspired, empowered and extremely motivated after listening to these podcasts. 

On Purpose with Jay Shetty

Jay Shetty is a motivational speaker and influencer, and his podcast is no exception to the positive impact he is leaving on the world. These episodes touch on topics that are centered around finding one’s purpose and living an intentional life. As Jay Shetty studied with monks for several years, he’s an expert in mindful living and is constantly sharing this advice in a way that can be easily integrated into anyone’s life. His messages are clear and easy to follow, and he has really helped me build up mechanisms to overcome hard times and live a more intentional and purposeful life.

Adulting

Oenone Forbat is an Instagram influencer who promotes general wellness, body positivity and female empowerment. Her podcast is centered around these passions as she shares personal anecdotes and interviews other interesting individuals to discuss various topics of life, ranging from eating disorders to mental health to confidence. I deeply respect her ability to remain transparent with her followers, normalizing the hardships many people experience throughout adulthood. Oenene also advocates for sustainability, gender equality and other social issues about which she is passionate. She is truly an impressive individual who constantly leaves me with thought-provoking ideas and relatable content.

Girlboss Radio

Sophia Amoruso is a girlboss herself as she founded the successful clothing company, NastyGal. Since then, she has made it a goal to empower other women, inspiring them to embrace their inner girlboss. The episodes include candid conversations about life and lessons with other boss women who have successful careers. I am certainly inspired to work on building up my inner girlboss every time I listen to this podcast. 

Cristina Ribera

Notre Dame '21

My name is Cristina Ribera and I am a rising junior at Notre Dame. I am originally from San Francisco, but on campus I live in Welsh Family Hall. I am majoring in American Studies and double minoring in Data Science and Innovation & Entrepreneurship. Writing is a passion of mine, so I am very excited to be writing for Her Campus. I have a blog in which I write about mental health, particularly in college, and I have written for Scholastic Magazine about mental health on campus, among other topics. I can’t wait to delve into more exciting topics and share them with such an incredible community!